for Peke - pics of undersink drawers

carolmlMarch 5, 2013

Hi Peke,
I posted this in your original post from January, then wondered if you would find it.

Home again. Here are the photos I promised you. As you can see, the main sink, which is quite deep, has two drawers, one shallow one - note the small cut out at the back to accommodate the drain, and a standard 12" one below. The counter is 27" deep, so the drawers are full depth.
The prep sink has a very shallow cabinet - only 21" deep because of a book case built in the gable behind it. The drawer here is only just big enough to fit my trash, compost, bird seed and a few cleaning products. We have put it on a servo drive, so the door glides open with just a touch. It is fantastic when preparing food on the adjacent counter. The cabinet maker built a shelf to raise the level of the compost bin so that it comes just under the sink bowl and does not require bending to deposit green material.
There are also photos with the drawers removed to show you how the plumbing pipes are pushed against the back of the cabinet.
We love this set up. For the first time ever, the undersink area is fully functional. Hope this helps.
Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Peke

Carol, thank you so much! It is perfect for what I need too. No, I couldn't find the other post so I am glad you posted here. Now I have something to show my cabinet guy and plumber what I need. They are famous for saying, "NO....I have never seen something like that....it can't be done."

Your kitchen looks lovely especially the countertop. Great colors.

Thanks again for posting! Peke

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 6:06PM
carolml

My one bit of advice is that it took my husband considerable time to figure out exactly how to put together the various pipe pieces to fit in the smallest space. Plumber time is expensive, so if you can experiment with this yourselves and come up with a shape that works, you might save a few dollars.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 6:57PM
happyx5

I'm so happy to have seen this post today. I'm currently trying to lay out my cabinet runs, and cursing the wasted space under two sinks. I am hopeful that this could be a solution for me too! So clever, thank you!

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 2:10PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

This is really cool! Love it! I think, I'm stuck with a curtain rod to hold all the spray bottles and plastic to contain everything else. Meeting with a contractor this weekend, and interested to see what he suggests. I'm forwarding this post to him!

Thanks!

Suzi

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 2:21PM
a2gemini

I wish I had seen this before reno - thanks for sharing

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 7:47PM
carolml

Further advice: my cabinet maker was sceptical but willing to attempt this. Essentially, he built the boxes but did not do anything with the drawers until the counters, sinks and plumbing were in place. Then, he measured the space that was left and made the drawers. This was truly custom work, but should be doable by anyone with a little flexibility.
Carol

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
Pot filler, Gooseneck or Pullout over Prep sink
I’ve searched the internet for similar topics but...
Gemcap
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
Ikea Process?
We're re-thinking things and are now leaning towards...
annaw_123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™