.67 Energy Star Water Heater Worth it?

chaocaiNovember 13, 2011

I'm considering a couple different models of Rheem water heaters (42XR50-40F .62EF & 43V50E2 .67EF). My utility company is offering a rebate that will cover the extra cost of the energy star model, but there are a couple of drawbacks in my opinion:

1) The energy star has an electronic ignition (no pilot light), so that means no hot water during a power outage.

2) The energy star unit has a digital thermostat and all kinds of error conditions that will shut down the tank if triggered.

I think I could use a computer UPS to run the igniter for a while during a short power outage, but it's something to consider for longer outages. I'm also concerned that the extra electronics in the energy star model could mean more things to go wrong, and hence higher maintenance costs. I also think that going from .62 to .67 EF is not going to be a huge difference in operational cost, so the EF numbers don't really concern me that much.

Which one would you pick if they were about the same price?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakethewonderdog

I think you are correct about the move from .62 to .67 not being that big of a savings.

I'm not sure why everyone needs to suddenly jump in the shower when the power goes out, but for some people it's a consideration.

stay with the basic heater.

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
Plumbing Kohler Ceiling Tub Filler K-922
Anyone have experience installing this laminar flow...
Logcabin1
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
gtrshop
LaToscana Novello Thermostatic Shower Valve
Trouble with LaToscana Novello Shower Valve- no hot...
bathroomblues1
Trying to verify gas pipe size
I am installing a new natural gas range and oven, and...
hoolabob
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
Cassandra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™