Help finding a shade of gray?

babs711April 11, 2012

I want to paint out the backs of our living room bookcases and our wet bar walls a medium gray. When I first thought about doing this, I'd had BM Chelsea Gray in mind, which is a bit deeper than what's in my inspiration photo:

Here's another bookcase with a deeper tone:

Maybe somewhere between the two? But I prefer the first photo and keep going back to it. I will be deviating slightly from that photo as our walls (and above the mantle) are BM Revere Pewter and our woodwork/mantle is white, not cream.

On the wet bar, which is across from that wall, we are using leathered black countertops and white cabinetry. So I don't want to go too too dark on the walls within that area/alcove yet I do want some contrast to the Revere Pewter everywhere else.

What gray should I use to achieve a similar tone (or possibly a shade deeper?) than in that first photo above?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ttodd

If you like what you have going on now I'd just ask the paint store to mix up the RP and make it darker. I'd also try a different finish than th ewalls and possibly the trim depending on what you have now.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 10:14AM
babs711

I like the RP but want the shade to be more gray (but not a blue-gray) than the RP. RP is very greige and lighter. I want it more of what's in the photo. I think making RP darker will look brownish instead of the gray I'm trying to achieve. Does that make sense? Maybe I should make Chelsea Gray lighter? Or is there another gray I'm not thinking of? Galveston Gray? Ozark Shadows? Coventry Gray? I used Coventry Gray in my DS's bathroom and next to the brownish gray awesome tiles and black vanity, it's taking on an oddly lavender tone. I'm thinking it's because it's only one thin coat over the primer. But we'll see.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 11:07AM
chispa

The first photo reminds me of BM Silver Fox.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 11:30AM
Sueb20

I think Galveston Gray would look nice.

I have Revere Pewter on my bedroom walls, and I painted a piece of furniture in the room Iron Mountain, which looks good against the RP, but is probably too dark for what you're doing.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 11:32AM
homeagain

I've used revere pewter, chelsea gray, iron mtn, gray owl and rockport gray in the last year. Rockport is about half way,between rp and chelsea gray. I think it would work well for you.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 2:52PM
babs711

Thanks guys! I was looking at my paint decks today. I actually emailed the designers of that room (after doing some Internet sleuthing) who told me they'd started with SW Agreeable Gray. But it ended up being a custom color in the end.

I think I'm going to have samples made of Chelsea at 50%, Galveston, and of Rockport. I'll start there and see where I end up!

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 3:55PM
Bobby99

I've been trying to find a shade of gray to paint the inside of a bookshelf in my kitchen/dining room to go with my revere pewter walls, so when you finish, I'd love to see pictures!

Also, I notice that most people are painting just the back of the shelves and not the side walls of the shelves. The PO of my home painted the sides of the shelves as well as the back - does anyone have an opinion on why you would do one or the other??

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Wood filler when sanding isn't possible
My toilet paper holder is attached to my vanity. I...
Linelle
Do you like decor on the coffee table?
This relates back to our 'magazine house' discussion....
selcier
Need Light for Kitchen Table
So, I am posting old photos of my kitchen (it has since...
sheilaaus122
Office ready for window treatments - WWYD?
I finally hung the diplomas and DH's favorite print...
2pups4me
who has grey kitchen cabinets?
would appreciate info from people who have grey cabinets...
mainewire
Sponsored Products
39 Inch Vanity Cabinet With Fitted Sink
TheBathOutlet
Carpyen | Gala Floor Lamp
$876.00 | YLighting
Fresca Verona Grey Thermostatic Shower Massage Panel
Overstock.com
Providence Pearl Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$249.00 | Bellacor
Zuo Dogpatch Charcoal Gray Accent Chair
Euro Style Lighting