Feline Bladder Infection (Bloody Urine)

dwmcDecember 16, 2013

Tobey seems to have it again. Not sure it totally every went away. He IS 18. Taking him to the vet tomorrow. Oral injection is "easier", but I'm not sure either way, or either type, of antibiotic really works.
Have you had success with a particular medicine?
Does this hurt them when not treated?

David

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
airforceguy

Can't recall the med, but was an Injection, almost impossible to give my cat anything via the mouth!!

Here is a link that might be useful: untreated bladder infection

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 9:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurief_gw

David,

Have you had a urine CULTURE (not just a urinalysis) performed on a STERILE urine sample (one acquired by cystocentesis) to determine the present of infection and to identify the exact pathogen present? If not, you should take your cat to a vet who can and will do those procedures.

Urine that has been peed out can be contaminated with pathogens after it leaves the body, returning a false positive in a urinalysis or culture. That's why the urine should be acquired by cysto (a thin needle inserted directly into the bladder through the abdomen). A cysto will provide a sterile urine sample that will return an accurate test result.

A urinalysis can identify the presence of pathogens in the urine, but it can't identify WHICH pathogens are present. As a result, a vet can only prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic and HOPE that it will be effective against the infectious organism(s).

A culture, OTOH, can identify both the presence of infectious organism(s) in the urine, as well as exactly WHICH organisms are present. This allows the vet to prescribe an antibiotic with known efficacy against the specific organism(s). There is no one antibiotic that kills every pathogen. You need to know exactly which pathogen is present in order to administer a targeted, effective antibiotic.

Laurie

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
which dog should I get?!
I am confused on which breed of dog to get and I need...
adi003
How to convince my parents ?
How can I convince my parents into getting a small...
adi003
Cat pees in bathtub
Why does he do this. I think it is the only place...
ryseryse_2004
What cute/funny things do your cats do?
I have one cat who fetches and will bring me toys asking...
violetwest
Finally, no more poop eating.
After trying every product under the sun with no help...
roobear
Sponsored Products
Pink Leather Kitty Kids Bed
Zuri Furniture
Moe's Home Feline Fish Wall Decor
Beyond Stores
Home Decorators Area Rug: Feline Soft Gold 5' 3" x 8' 3"
Home Depot
Accent Lamp: 17 in. Ginger Mica Antique Bronze Lamp TA90197
$99.99 | Home Depot
Cast Iron Cat Wedge Doorstop
Signature Hardware