How do I administer saline nasal drops for kitten?

glaserberlDecember 5, 2010

Took Mr. Bigglesworth (8 week old kitten) to the urgent care vet today. He has an URI and is really congested. He got a Convenia shot and I'm supposed to give him a drop of saline solution in each nostril a couple times a day. I bought the infant drops because I thought the tip would be smaller but that is not the case. I can get the solution on the outside of his nostrils but there is no way it is going to go in. Any tips?

Thank you

Katharina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olyagrove

I use saline with nebulizer...not sure if you can get one ASAP.
You can also get a vaporizer at a drugstore - will help the kitten breathe better/get rid of mucus..

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 7:25PM
glaserberl

Just a regular vaporizer like the Vicks Vaporizer? Do you use the menthol stuff with it?

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 7:35PM
calliope

No, don't use the menthol.

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 7:49PM
olyagrove

Yup, regular vaporizer. Put the kitten in a carrier next to one, cover up with a towel, and let it steam up.
I do not use menthol.

Convenia should definitely help, I have seen URI with congestion respond well to it. In the meantime, and you probably know that, make sure he eats. One congested and not smelling food, kittens start refusing to eat and go downhill fast. If you have to, forcefeed - I had to forcefeed a litter for a week just recently because of the bad URI going around..

Good luck! Keep the little guy warm and well fed :)

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 8:33PM
glaserberl

Yes, his appetite hasn't been great. I have been offering him food several times a day. He'll eat a little bit at a time. The other cats are eating raw and I started him on it when we brought him home. Today I hit the winning combo. Mixed the raw with some KMR (wanted to add more calories) and pureed it. He ate more of it in one sitting than probably all day yesterday.
I'll try the vaporizer and hopefully it will make breathing a bit easier.
Poor little guy. He still purrs as soon as I pick him up.
Katharina

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 8:54PM
annzgw

My little gal was 7 weeks old, skin and bones and a horrible URI when DS found her. The covenia shot helped her feel a little better but the congestion continued. The vet then tried clavamox and after that didn't help he seemed to have run out of ideas except to suggest we start doing lots of tests.

Instead of tests I decided to take her to a cat clinic and they started her on a compounded Azithromycin. They also discovered she had an ear infection and giardia. After less than 48 hrs on the new med she was a different cat and has been healthy ever since.
So glad I switched vets!
Sorry I'm no help on the nasal drops. Just wanted to stress that if you see no improvement don't hesitate to ask for (or seek) other options.

Be sure to heat the food to make it more appetizing for kitty.

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 10:46PM
glaserberl

We will go back to my reg vet if there is no improvement. Today we went to the urgent care. (I didn't know we had that until recently. Open seven days a week from 8:00-8:00, and a whole lot cheaper than the emergency vet). The vet told me that the URI is most likely a virus that has to run it's course and that often they get a bacterial infection with it. That's where the Convenia comes in. We will watch for a couple days and go from there.
As to the saline, I got inventive. I had a small syringe for giving meds from some time ago. I sucked a little saline in and then very slowly pushed a drop out onto kitty's nostril. At least some of it went in.

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 11:08PM
glaserberl

Biggles is much better this morning. Ate with gusto and is showing signs of wanting to play and explore. Still a bit congested but nor nearly as bad as yesterday.

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 11:12AM
laurief_gw

The easiest way I have found to alleviate congestion in felines is to put them in a steamy bathroom for 15-30 mins twice daily. It's best to feed them immediately following a steam treatment while their nasal passages are clear.

Glad to hear the kitten's feeling better today.

Laurie

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 1:39PM
olyagrove

Glad to hear he is feeling better!

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 1:54PM
susanjn

Oh good! Looking forward to hearing about his escapades.

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 10:55PM
glaserberl

He seems to have taken a liking to my mouse cable and the cord on the calculator. I'm so happy that he finally has an interest in his surroundings and is starting to act like a kitten. He still sounds like he needs ti blow his nose, but is eating well without me cajoling him with smearing food on his mouth or licking it of my finger.
Katharina

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 6:06AM
glaserberl

Yeah! Mr. Biggelsworth gained 3.25 ounces since Sunday. Looking a lot less scrawny.
He plays a lot now and eats like a horse.

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 10:57AM
olyagrove

Super cute.

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 1:55PM
susanjn

Oh, he's so cute! I mean in a rough, tough, scary way, of course.

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
How to approach neighbors re: horrendous dog poo smell?
I'm sorry if this post is long, but I'm trying to give...
loralee_2007
Found baby bird with bald spot
Hi! There's a lot of maya birds in our area and this...
makoto
Let's see your beloved pets
We need some happy posts on this forum, so let's see...
pamghatten
Advice on trapping a stray cat
My husband and I have been feeding a lone stray cat...
honugirlhawaii
What cute/funny things do your cats do?
I have one cat who fetches and will bring me toys asking...
violetwest
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™