Need help choosing Tile

JeremyLinFebruary 24, 2012

Can anyone give me some suggestions/advice on picking pool tile? I've looked through some catalogs, but I can't even narrow it down. I'm doing a greyish bullnose coping and a hydrazzo pool finish in French or hatteras grey. It's difficult to find pictures online that are helpful. Any advice or suggestions??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cmanley33

My PB gave me the catalogs and ordered samples of the tiles I liked and when they came in I drove to their office and matched tiles with coping. The only help I had was my salesman because no one else could come with me. Pick 10-15 tiles, see if your PB can/will order samples (or they may already have some of them at their office) and then go and see the tile/coping in person so you know exactly what they will look like. IMO, colors never look the same in a book as they do in person. I actually ended up going with a different coping once I chose a tile because I liked the way they looked together better than my original choice. It might be a pain but well worth the effort. I did the same thing when I picked my retaining wall color and am so glad I did.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 10:33PM
neilaz

If you can in person is the way to go. We ended up with a tile that when looking at the book we never considered but in person it was much diff.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:53AM
cabogirl

We were lucky that one of the tile companies was local. We had picked some out from their book and then went to look. Neilaz is right - they didn't look the same. They gave us samples to take home which made a big difference.

I believe somebody on this forum said don't try and match the interior of the pool since it will look different depending on the sun/lack of. Our PB said the same thing - go with something different. Our coping is Grand Canyon light/dark. It has a lot of maroon and pink. Our interior is going to be a medium dark blue. The tile we went with is a light very bright blue with a little light tan running through it. It blends with the coping/bond beam but will stand out from the interior (hopefully).

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 3:53PM
yrqrm0

Jeremy Lin,

As stated, you will be better off choosing several samples and need to see it all in person, and I also did not try to match my interior. I have blue granite ps and went with a reddish tile. It sort of pulled the flagstone coping and moss boulder waterfall colors together - see my pool build below.

With several, several tiles to choose from, the process is LINSANITY! --rim shot--

Here is a link that might be useful: my build @ TFP

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 9:35AM
JeremyLin

Haha. Thank you yrqrm0. Appreciate the feedback.

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
New Pool Build in Cypress near Houston
Well, the Big Dig did not begin Monday. Our PB stopped...
suzfromtexas
Swimming laps- Design help
My wife wants to swim laps. Short of building an olympic...
jparkfire
Remounting aluminum track for a cover in a salt water pool
I've got a CoverPools automatic cover for my saltwater...
nick_shirley
Diamod Brite pool color photos
PLEASE!!!! Need to see finished pool pictures with...
Braden Taylor
Transition between two DiamondBrite colors
Trying to figure out best way to do this. Will be doing...
jscozz
Sponsored Products
Sterling Ensemble 72130106 60W x 75.75H in. Shower Module with Age in Place Back
$981.85 | Hayneedle
Howard Elliott Roulette 33" Round Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Picture Frame Round 22" Wide Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Sample- Alloy Sequoia Blend Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Austin White Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Austin Tea Leaf Neutral Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
DreamLine Enigma-X 56-60x76-inch Fully Frameless Sliding Shower Door