Gas valve info?

ms01634October 26, 2010

Different type of question. My mother-in-law is in early alzheimers. We want to set her up with a caretaker to do cooking, cleaning, etc. Right now we have shut the gas off to her stove for safety reasons. Im wondering if there is some type of locking gas valve that a caretaker can access to cook, and lock again when done. I know I can raise the valve higher behind the stove but my mother-in-law will be able to turn it on also. I thought about a second valve, but I would have to break through the wall into the garage and place it there, but I think that is against fire code. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pelican

It would not be against code to put a shut-off in the garage, in my jurisdiction. I have never heard of, or seen a locking gas shut-off. If you have a ball-valve, can you drill a hole in the end of the handle to some-how lock it to an eyelet screwed into the wall? You cannot lock it in the open position, but you can in the closed position. If it is a ball-valve, you can take the handle off when it is closed.

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 7:53AM
pelican

There is also an electric solenoid valve you could put on. All you need is a switch to turn it on or off.

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 7:48AM
joed

The handle usually comes off a gas valve with a small screw. Remove the handle and give it to the caretaker. She can take it with her or hide it from your mother. She should be able to use the handle without the screw to turn on the gas.
If the stove has standing pilots turn them off and use a sparker to ignite the burners.

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 8:15AM
ms01634

Thanks. I think I may go with Joed's idea. Its very simple, yet effective. I just have to be sure my mother-in-law doesn't know. She always was a worker, and turning it on without the knob is not beyond her capabilities. lol

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
shellking
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
Trying to verify gas pipe size
I am installing a new natural gas range and oven, and...
hoolabob
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™