Softener hookup - 1' bypass, 3/4' Main

adawgOctober 22, 2010

Hi, I am planning to replace my existing softener tomorrow. I ordered the replacement online and talked with the sales rep. I told him what I have, and he sold me a nice system.

Here is the issue - I have 3/4" plumbing throughout the house, but he sent me a 1" bypass for the softener. Is that a problem? Is there a safe, effective way to upsize to 1" going in the softener and coming out before getting sized back to 3/4?

If the answer is send it back and start over, I will. But if I can make it work I'd sure like to.

Many thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justalurker

The beauty of buying long distance...

There are a variety of ways you can make the transition from 3/4 to 1" and back again on the other side of the bypass depending on what kind of 3/4 you have.

If you plumbing is copper and ends in 3/4 male thread then you can get a couple of these... http://www.falconstainless.com/price_list.html#Water_Softeners but you won't find them locally unless you are REALLY lucky.

The 4th one down is 3/4 female thread on one end and 1" female thread on the other and 18" long.

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 12:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justalurker

Depending on what 3/4 you have and the termination there are a variety of ways to do what you need at Home Depot or Lowes.

If you can't describe exactly what you have take a picture and bring the bypass to the store.

If you have copper or PVC then ask about Shark Bite connectors and adapters.

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 1:29AM
More Discussions
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
gtrshop
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
Cassandra
Plumbing Kohler Ceiling Tub Filler K-922
Anyone have experience installing this laminar flow...
Logcabin1
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™