Water Softener question.

jfausmithOctober 16, 2010

This might be a different twist on the water softener question. First of all I have a well. Once the water enters my house I have a clear wave water conditioner attached to the water pipe. Then the water goes into two water filters. After that the water T's off and the cold goes into the house and the rest goes to the hot-water boiler of my furnace.

What I want to do is to install a water softener after the clear wave device and the first filter. There will be a T there to split the water. One line will go to the cold water line for the house and the other line will go into the water softener before going into the hot-water boiler. That way I will not be drinking salty water but I will still have soft-water when we use hot water.

Is this a good idea or should I just run all the water into the water softener? I am just trying to eliminate the salty tasting water.

Thanks for any help you can give me towards this project.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justalurker

You should understand that devices like the Clearwave Electronic Conditioner do nothing to soften your water and little to nothing in the way of changing anything about your water so if you want to keep it place it anywhere and just forget about it.

You'll want to start off in the right direction and base your decisions based on fact so I guess the place to start is to ask you why you think soft water will be salty?

Regardless of your answer, the fact is that soft water is not salty. There is no salt added to hard water to make it soft. That is FACT

You should get a comprehensive water test done by an independent certified lab so you can KNOW what in the water needs to be treated.

You need tests for nitrates, bacteria, hardness, TDS, iron, manganese, PH, copper, chlorine, and arsenic just to start.

With those test results and knowing the # of people in the house, # of bathrooms, and if there's any appliances that use a lot of water (like a Jacuzzi) we can help you determine what equipment you need and how to size it correctly for your needs.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 12:06AM
jfausmith

Thanks justalurker. I am in the process of having my water tested. I should know the results next week. Once I know more about my water I will return and give you the results.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 7:06PM
justalurker

Living on a well there's more of a learning curve than living on municipal water cause you have to make the water nice and SAFE.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Salt-free water conditioning
Hi all, Considering installing a water softener in...
tucker_troy
Marble shower panels valve replacement :( !!!
We have a couple of bathrooms with a single handle...
Vamsi Kodavanty
Fleck 9100 SXT Programming/Settings
I am finally installing my new Fleck 9100 SXT!!! Thanks...
rss1978
Quality of what general contactor is providing
I don't feel qualified to inspect my new home currently...
Larry Lotter
Fed up and ready to tackle my well water issues
I've been reading posts trying to educate myself for...
nutherokie
Sponsored Products
Ibiza Outdoor Sofa Cover
$119.50 | FRONTGATE
Modernoutdoor | Etra Side Table
YLiving.com
Breeze Outdoor Pillow - Breeze Poolside, 12" x 20"
Grandin Road
Raine Leather Sofa - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Moonrays Outdoor Lighting. Outdoor Polyresin Solar Powered LED Garden Elf Wateri
$19.97 | Home Depot
Serena & Lily Sawyer Play Table
Serena & Lily
Revive Single Panel White Vertical Designer Radiator 59 x 14 & Valves
Hudson Reed
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Alfred Shaheen Brown/Blue 7
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™