Need help using Ivomec for dogs...in Canada

kennethjamessmithDecember 9, 2012

I have read the posting on Ivomec usage for dogs but I am still confused. The Ivomec solution I have has per ml 10mg Ivermectin purchased to worm our sheep. What is the correct dosage for a 60lb dog? Can anyone help me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eahamel

What are you using it for? The only thing we use it for here in the South is heartworms, and I don't think that's a problem in Canada. And what percentage is it?

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 6:14PM
blubird

I also was going to ask what percentage solution is it? And for what ailment? I'm currently using it (Ivermax brand 1% solution) for a dog with mange. She gets 1 mL /day - she's 40 pounds.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 8:58PM
annzgw

One site I came across calculated the 10mg/ml at .6cc for a 60 lb dog. I believe it was for a 1% solution. But....I don't know if that's the correct amount for your dog and would suggest you call your vet and ask the correct dosage for the product you're using. If you're in good standing with your vet he/she shouldn't have a problem helping you.

Also keep in mind that there are breeds, Collies and other herding dogs, that should never be given Ivermectin.

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 11:28PM
eahamel

Ann, that dose is pretty strong unless you're treating for mange. With a 1% solution, the dose for heartworm would be .01 cc per 10 lbs. A dose as high as the one you found could cause liver damage and eventually kill a dog. My vet set me straight on that one.

I think it's best to test before giving a herding dog Ivermectin. I've had 5 herding dogs, 3 Aussies, 1 Puli and 1 Corgi, all were or are on ivermectin heartworm preventives, and have never had any problems.

I'd definitely test a collie, though, and any other breed that is known to be very sensitive. The only dog I've known to die from it was a collie, and the ivermectin heartworm preventive was unfortunately prescribed by a VET, who should have known better.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 9:44AM
annzgw

Ya, I agree and that's why I suggested they call a vet. I think many people don't understand the placement of that decimal can make a huge difference in life and death.
I thought .06 would be closer to the correct dosage, but it all depends on the strength of the Ivermectin.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
help with my pet
Hello, My name is Janet, owner of a 3 yr old male Blue...
janet1971
cat with renal failure
My 17 yo cat has renal failure and has developed abdominal...
dlana
It's 2015....time for a new post about Vaccuum cleaners for Pet hair!!
Exciting, I know!! :). I searched and the most recent...
magsnj
Anyone had a problem with 'DreamBones' dog snack?
Has anyone had any problems with a dog snack called...
cas66ragtop
Cat,s ears causing misery
we adopted sweet kitty (8yrsold) just 6 wks ago. Took...
dancingirl_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™