Cover Indoor Pool with Floor?

cimbrone23February 15, 2013

We recently bought a house that has an indoor pool that we do not want to keep. The pool is in addition on the back of the house. We are getting quotes to fill the pool with gravel and cement. My father--who is a pretty smart and handy person--thinks we shouldn't fill in the pool, but instead cover it with a subfloor and put a floor on top of that. He said to put a trap door down to the pool in case we ever need to check it for water or moisture issues. He also suggested we put a dehumidifier in the pool (which is something we did in our last house in the crawl space). In theory, this sounds like a good idea to me, but I'm not so sure and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cimbrone23

Also, the pool has been empty for at least two years.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 9:41PM
cimbrone23

Oh and one more thing, I believe the pool is mostly contained in a concrete foundation and not in the ground.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 10:13PM
mas985

There are probably a lot of people that would die for that setup. Can I ask why you don't want to keep the pool?

But what your father suggests sounds reasonable as long as you have a low water table. Keeping a pool empty is always risky if the water table rises and floats the pool out the ground. Just makes sure you have a working hydro-static valve in the bottom of the pool so if the water table does rise, the valve will open allowing water into the pool.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Cleaning pool filter
Does your pool filter look like this after it's been...
bossyvossy
New constructions questions
I am new to the forum and new to pool ownership. I...
vpace
salt or chlorine? pebble or plaster?
We have finally decided to build a pool, and have had...
lostinthewoodlands
Inground pool contractor recommendations NJ
Looking for inground pool contractors for Tuckerton,...
leh3
Diaphragm in Barracuda cleaners keeps getting torn
We have second home in FL with pool built in late 70s'==like...
loves2read
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™