whole house filtration

murphy-nyOctober 16, 2010

I just took two different water test on our "new" 102 year old house. Everything came back in an ideal range other than low PH of 5, alkalinity of 0, and nitrate between greater than 2 but less than 10. I was thinking of getting a whole house filter to correct these problems and possibly for any vocs or other chemicals that I haven't tested for. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justalurker

"I just took two different water test on our "new" 102 year old house" box store DIY tests or a comprehensive water test by a certified, independent lab?

Although you post that "Everything came back in an ideal range" how about posting the test results in detail? Then we can speak intelligently about treating your water.

Hardness, iron, manganese, copper, chlorine, arsenic, PH (we know), TDS, bacteria, nitrates (we know) for starters.

We'll also need to know the # of people and bathrooms in the home and whether there are any high water use appliances like an uber-shower or Jacuzzi.

A PH of 5 is VERY aggressive water and that will need to be treated for sure and the sooner the better for your plumbing, fixtures, and appliances. I can tell you that no simple add-on house filter will address the PH problem. Treating a low PH problem will usually add hardness to the water so along with whatever hardness is in the water now, you'll most likely require an ion exchange softener.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 11:49AM
murphy-ny

PH 5
Alkalinity 0
Chlorine 0.2
Hardness 50
Iron 0
Copper 0
Nitrate 2-5
Nitrite 0
Lead undetectable

We were very surprised by the PH. The prior owners lived in the house for 45 years without treating the water. The dishwasher is about 10 years old and the washer is probably more than 15+ yrs and they both work.

3 people live in the house, with two full baths, two half baths,washer, and dishwasher. We will probably be adding another full bath in the next 5 years. Additionally, my in-laws stay with us for a few weeks twice a year, so we would want a system that would be able to handle 5-6 people without a problem.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 8:08PM
justalurker

If you'd be so kind as to add the delineators to the numbers... hardness = 50 what? Grains, PPM, pounds, gallons?

No bacteria test?

Well water changes so perhaps that PH of 5 hasn't been that for 102 years? You might also run the PH test again to make sure.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 8:57PM
murphy-ny

sorry, all measured in parts per million.

My water source is not a well. It is water from the village where the house is located.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 10:01PM
justalurker

Is your water supply EPA or state certified?

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 10:03PM
justalurker

If your village water system is state or EPA monitored then they can provide you with a copy of the water tests they are required to routinely do.

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
New Water Softener problem (Fleck 5000 ProFloSXT)
Hello, I recently moved into a home that uses well...
djt511
Fleck 5600 Econominder - Salty Tasting Water
I just installed a new 1.5 cu ft water softener with...
larry_a_williams
Salt-free water conditioning
Hi all, Considering installing a water softener in...
tucker_troy
Hot water backflowing into cold supply
OK, I'm rephrasing my question, as what I'd asked before...
pjb999
Marble shower panels valve replacement :( !!!
We have a couple of bathrooms with a single handle...
Vamsi Kodavanty
Sponsored Products
Savoy House Wilmont Modern Contempo Mini Pendant
1800Lighting
Hunter 4-Light White Light Kit 28349
$13.97 | Home Depot
Forum Silver Sparkle Four-Light Foyer Pendant
$430.00 | Bellacor
Ardmore 17 1/2" High Black Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Fabbian | Shivi - Low Voltage Recessed Lighting
$176.40 | YLighting