Reliable RO water filtration system

Edy123October 17, 2012

Hi,

I am evaluating a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for my kitchen; primary goal is to filter lead and extra sodium added by water softener.

Felt RO system of Kinetico is overpriced and there are much cheaper options in the market. Wanted to know which RO system I should consider. Any thoughts?

On a different note, I am planning for a Kinetico water softening system 2030S with addition of chlorine filter. Will the Chlorine filter be an overkill if I have RO?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

When looking for an RO, look for one that uses standard filters. Proprietary = way more money every time you have to replace the filters. The RO filter itself can last many years on softened water, but the pre and post filters should be replaced every six months.

If you have chlorine in your water, removing it is a good thing for your RO filter - it will last longer. Chlorine can attack the filter membrane.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 10:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

Let me backpedal just a titch on that last comment (long day, little sleep). Your RO system should have a prefilter that is GAC - that prefilter will remove chlorine. If your chlorine levels are excessively high (if you live close to the water treatment plant, for instance) then you may have to replace the prefilter more often to provide protection for your membrane.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Do Electric water heaters from plumbing supply differ from home depot
Plumbers I feel rip people off when installing electric...
buddy50
Hot water backflowing into cold supply
OK, I'm rephrasing my question, as what I'd asked before...
pjb999
Salt-free water conditioning
Hi all, Considering installing a water softener in...
tucker_troy
fleck fusion high flow metered water softener
Our Culligan has died and we aint too heartbroken about...
vossner
Undermount sink edge intrudes on cut-out for faucet
15 years ago my kitchen was totally renovated by a...
Andee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™