Are Jandy Underwater Lights Safe?

wolfhommaFebruary 26, 2012

In 2006, a PB installed a pool with a Jandy Power Center RS controller and various Jandy products in my back yard. Two years ago, I had to replace the bulb and gasket of the underwater light, because of water intrusion. Just yesterday, I tried to switch on the pool lights and noticed that neither spa nor pool lights lit up. Today I found the reason: The underwater light in the pool broke again due to water leakage and the GFI responded (thankfully) disconnecting all pool lights. Now I am wondering how safe I would be in the pool if the GFI breaker was of equally dubious quality as the pool light. As an electrical engineer I am willing to pull the light complete with gasket and wires and hand it to my colleagues at UL for close examination. Is this a frequent occurence with underwater lights?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
muddy_water

The seal seems to be the problem. Make sure when you replace the seal that you are getting a orginal part for replacement and that there is no damage or corrosion on the sealing surfaces. It may be that you need replace the whole fixture. Most of the time this type of failure comes from improper water balance like a low PH. Are you having the same problem with the spa lights?

Here is a link that might be useful: Light Manual

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
Baffled by my pool- peeling skim coat?
Hi all! My in ground concrete pool is leaking... I...
sabine77
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
Basement pool - How to prepare the room?
With some slight modifications to my garage (dropping...
Alex House
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™