Black Algae

zuggy333February 16, 2014

Hi all! It's been awhile since I've posted (I still think of Scott every time I log in - I miss his helpful input). But, even though the opening of our pool is still a few months away, this is the time of year I start thinking of what needs to be done when spring arrives. Last year we had issues with black algae that we'd get rid of, but it always came back with a vengeance, and it even started spreading. We are honestly thinking that we may need to replace our in-ground liner, but if we do, how do we prevent this algae from returning? Or, if you have other suggestions that will rid the pool of black algae that would be great too. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ps0303

Proper chemical levels is an important factor in having an algae free pool. Black algae is one of the hardest algaes to get rid of because it actually have a protective layer on the top that prevents chlorine from affecting it. You really need a brush for your type of pool so that you can brush the algae and then add a higher level of chlorine to kill it. The other thing to keep in mind is that if you have a very high level of CYA, Cyanuric Acid, it will prevent chlorine from having any effect on your pool water. So check this to see if you are too high. If you are, you will need to remove some water from your pool and add fresh.

Paul
Gastek Pool & Gas Services

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 7:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zuggy333

Thanks, Paul! I'm thinking of another pool project, which I'll be posting. Not sure my idea is feasible, but I wanted to get some input.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
should pool building take this long??
I signed a contract July 19th with Mr. Carlos pools....
animallover5
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™