pipe size

myaunzaOctober 16, 2010

When my on demand hot water heater was installed the supply line 3/4 inch was reduced to 1/2 inch ,the output of the heater is 1/2 inch and then is brought back to 3/4 inch to supply the house. Should I replace the 3.4 with 1/2 after the heater or will this be ok as is? I have to open the lines as there is an obstruction between the heater and the kitchen. What kind of loss can I expect in pressure with the present setup, 1/2 to 3/4. The present set up is 1/2 to 3/4 to a Tee from the tee to the laundry tub the other output goes to a tee and this feeds the bath and kitchen. Pressure is great at the laundry tub but both the bath and kitchen seen low. It may be because of a obstruction but if the line was clear with one valve on at a time shouldn't all locations be the same?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

The 3/4" pipe will give you better flow rate (gallons per minute) than 1/2".
How are you measuring your water flow? Time how long it takes to fill the same container (1 to 2 gallons) at the various locations to see what differences there are.
What kind of obstruction do you suspect? There may be a slight reduction in flow rate from the number of tees and other turns it takes from the heater to the kitchen.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
ohmmm_gw
shower neck leaking
Just installed a shower head (in new construction),...
sid_79
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™