"Direct vent" water heaters

BW59October 6, 2013

Hello, I have lurked on GardenWeb for ages and have been incredibly grateful for all the great information. I would love some specific advice about my search for a new water heater. I'm doing some remodeling in which I am removing a chimney. My furnace already vents through the wall, so the only issue left is how to vent the water heater. I have natural gas and all other things being equal would prefer to stick with it. My plumber is recommending the AO Smith Voltex, a heat pump/electric hybrid. I'm in favor of energy efficiency but I am (1) not happy about losing hot water in a power cut; (2) suspicious that quoted efficiencies will be much lower in winter; (3) not clear that switching from gas to electricity is really energy-efficient however good the efficiency of the heater. Unless of course I were to go tankless, and I don't think I'm ready for that. Also the Voltex is not cheap, though it's less costly than running a special vent for my existing water heater through the house once the chimney is down (and there is a rebate on it).

My house is large (4 beds/2.5 baths) but I am usually the only one in it. I am in Boston MA. I currently have a 40-gallon tank and don't have any issues with running out of hot water even when I have visitors staying (rare). My gas bill in the summer is about $17/month.

Can anyone suggest a direct vent option, and are there any issues to worry about? I've heard concerns about direct vent pilots blowing out. I've been looking at the Bradford White UDS1-40S6FRN, but can't find data on its energy efficiency.

Thanks a million!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bcarlson78248

Another consideration for the Vortex is that since its a heat pump it needs to have a significant amount of air to operate. This may be okay if its in a relatively open basement area, but a typical gas water heater cabinet would not work well.

Direct vent gas water heaters seem to be reasonably priced, especially if it going to cost you a lot to install a standard vent, but I don't have any experience with them.

Bruce

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 6:20AM
BW59

Thanks, yes, it would be in a large open basement. In summer I think it would be a good thing to have a source of cool air in the basement. Winter, not so much.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 7:05AM
greendesigns_gw

Power assist direct vent are LOUD. You can't locate them close to a living area and expect to hold a conversation when they kick on.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 3:03PM
BW59

the fan for the heat pump is supposed to be loud too.... so confused... :-(

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Grohe Ladylux Cafe Touch Faucet
Does anyone have this faucet, and if so, do you like...
sharon_va
Sewer line disaster
originally posted on another website, but in the spirit...
bossyvossy
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
LaToscana Novello Thermostatic Shower Valve
Trouble with LaToscana Novello Shower Valve- no hot...
bathroomblues1
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™