dog displaying dominance
I guess I'm posting this wondering if I'm overreacting or not. First, it's not my dog. She belongs to a friend. It's a six year old Shih Tzu cross. She was a real cutie when they first brought her home. She still is most of the time but when she doesn't get her way, watch out! Here's my opinions:
1. They never took her to obedience school because they thought she was small and they could handle her. I think all dogs should be taken to obedience school.
2. They always let her do what she wants and when she acts out they make excuses for her behaviour. Mine tried displaying dominance once so I called the breeder and asked how to handle it. They told me to take her (she's a tough aussie) by the scruff of the neck and lightly shake her like the mother dog does. I did it several times and it worked.
3. She has nipped people several times. A nip IMHO is still a bite. She may be small but I don't trust her around children.
4. If she ever does that when they are on my property, I will handle her the same as I handled mine.
5. She also s***ts in the house because she's to lazy to go outside. I've seen her walk into my house and start dropping s**t as she walks down the hall and this has been after she has been outside for an hour or so!
I don't want to hurt the dog but somebody has to start teaching her that she can't get away with these things.