No hot water in some areas - new house, recirc loop

david_caryOctober 18, 2010

So I have called my plumber but his turn around time is slow.

I have a new house (1 year old) with a recirc loop for hot water and 80 gal tank with solar and electric back up.

The tank is hot (the solar portion has a display of tank temp). Hot water works downstairs. Upstairs in one room in particular, the water starts hot and then cools down. I tried it this am and I could take a shower for about 60 sec and then it was too cold to continue. I moved to the master bedroom and the shower was hot but colder than usual. The sink in guest room with single handle was cool - just like the shower.

There are antiscald - pressure balanced in upstairs rooms except the master which has thermostatic valve. When this happened, a direct hot water valve (sink) was hot but would get cold for a few secs. The pressure is normal in the sink and shower and tub.

It is like a valve is allowing cold water to get into the loop. Is that possible? Could a single valve cartridge causes multiple points to not have hot water? The loop coudl be blocked by debris but then the whole house would be affected.

Any guesses?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

There should be a check valve in the system that only allows water to flow one way.

If it is omitted or not working you can get funny things like this.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 9:47AM
alphonse

"Any guesses?"

Sure. Ignorant, though, not seeing what you actually have there.
Sounds like you're getting a slug of hot water that's risen in the piping..."I could take a shower for about 60 sec and then it was too cold to continue."
Your statement "Hot water works downstairs." seems to bear that out.

Bookmark   October 22, 2010 at 6:39AM
woodbutcher_ca

Hi, Check the direction of the water flow from the recert pump.I believe it should flow from the pump into the tank. There is an arrow on the pump that shows the direction of water flow.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
Inspection Hell (or why not to DIY)
Hi everyone, First time poster but long time lurker....
giantsean
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
ohmmm_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™