Looking for opinion on this estimate

CHazzardOctober 2, 2012

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. I'm looking for an opinion on an estimate a plumber gave me on moving our washer/dryer hookups to the first floor.

He was very clear that the job was easy. Those were his words. The wall we'd like the washer dryer on is the wall where the main plumbing stack is located. The washer and dryer would also be adjacent to an exterior wall.

We specifically asked him to include an option for running a gas line and what the additional cost would be, even though gas makes me nervous. But, again, the gas line is located directly beneath where the washer and dryer are going and, in his words, would be very easy.

He didn't identify the cost of separate items in his quote, so I'm not sure how much of this estimate is the running of the gas line/venting the dryer to the exterior/running water line, etc. but the total is $1200.

That's far more than we expected, especially since he identified where all the pipes were located and said it was "easy." We have talked to people that have done this in the past who haven't paid nearly that much, but perhaps they did it so long ago what they paid is now unrealistic.

Anyway, I'd really like some feedback on this. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maccps

I don't know about the price but I will never ask a plumber to run or quote on a gas line. You need a qualified gas technical for this job.

Your plumber should give you a quote on the plumbing work. I also wonder who is going to patch up the wall after all these work ?

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 5:13PM
lazypup

Maccps is wrong......Plumbers may also run both low pressure and high pressure gas, although you will never see high pressure gas in a residential structure.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 10:02PM
CHazzard

He said he would do everything to code. His estimate does not include any electrical or drywall work. We would have to find separate people to patch the drywall after and install the 220 needed for the dryer.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 7:18AM
More Discussions
Grohe Ladylux Cafe Touch Faucet
Does anyone have this faucet, and if so, do you like...
sharon_va
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
ashebrook
Culligan vs. Kinetico for very hard water
We just moved into a 3 year old house. The previous...
kate_ca
LaToscana Novello Thermostatic Shower Valve
Trouble with LaToscana Novello Shower Valve- no hot...
bathroomblues1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™