Tile Backsplash that goes with Saint Cecelia Granite?

StefaniebbMarch 26, 2011

HI,

I have been looking at the completed kitchen photos and there are a few kitchens with Saint Cecelia granite but I can't tell what tile was used for back splash. Or could someone suggest what you would use with this granite? I think its perfect for our cabinet color- maple with chestnut stain with onyx glaze however I can't seem to find a tile I like for the back splash. Everything seems like it almost matches but doesn't which isn't what I would like it to look like.

Maybe I need a new granite choice?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michellemarie

I think a cream or bone colored crackle tile is perfect with St. Cecilia. It would be a classic look and not overpower the beautiful granite.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 3:08PM
limom_2bts

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents...I just had the same color cabinets installed and went with Colonial Gold granite. It really looks beautiful with the chestnut and (to me) has a little more life to it than the SC.
Of course getting a BS will be a challange to me also but most likely will go with a cream or bone like michellemarie suggested.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 3:59PM
blfenton

I have light giallo ornamentale which is close to SC and didn't want to overpower it which I think would be quite easy to do. I went with bone matte subway tiles and a copper mosiac backsplash behind the stove.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 4:03PM
tightwaderin

We finally put our backslash in after 8 months of trying to decide on one. We were going to go with St. Cecelia but ended up buying Golden Ridge. I wanted a matte backsplash so we went with a tumbled travertine in a rhombus pattern turned on its side. I originally didn't want the tumbled look but I'm happy with it since the grout filled a lot of it in. Kitchen

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 4:04PM
Stefaniebb

Thanks for the help! All great ideas! I was thinking a light subway and a little more detail to the area by the cooktop! I will also look at the other granite colors mentioned!

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 5:09PM
boxerpups

What colors do you like?
What kind of lighting do you have?
Do you want to pull the creamy colors or go with something
in the gray family?
Santa C is a great granite and you can find a pretty
tile, truly there may wind up being too many to choose
from. It is all what makes your heart sing.

Here are some ideas and maybe if one of them appeals
to you we can find even more in that type of tile.
~boxerpups

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 7:11PM
colorado_mom

Let me see if I can add the pic of a backsplash I love - not mine, but we are planning on Santa Cecelia granite as well. My pics are with white cab's - sorry!

Here is another fav, and I would give anything to find out the name of these cup pulls - they are a bit longer than the others I have seen:

This granite is Nambien Gold - not sure I have the spelling correct:

Another - hard to see backsplash, but I just love this kitchen:

Sorry - just a stroll through a few of my fav kitchens I have put in my picture folder over the years!

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 7:14PM
colorado_mom

Sorry - I think pic #1 and #3 are same kitchen

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 7:18PM
Stefaniebb

Thank you Boxerpups and colorado mom!
I saved and printed the pictures out to take with me tile shopping this week. I like the subway tiles picture 9 and 16 from boxerpups and also the the first and last pictures posted by colorado mom. I appreciate the help. The first time I went into the tile shop I walked around in confusion felt overwhelmed and walked out! This time I will be better prepared!

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 7:26AM
monicakm_gw

Look at Durango tumbled marble. Colors should compliment each other and you'll have that nice rough tumbled and smooth glossy contrast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Durango Tumbled Marble

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 11:29AM
Stefaniebb

Boxerpups- I know what you mean now! I found a floor that makes my heart sing! LOL so now working around that- Tuscany Walnut Travetine

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 8:36PM
mythreesonsnc

Stefaniebb, I just put in a travertine floor. I had no idea how much I would love it, but I can't control my excitement! Here is a picture. It is very similar to the Tuscany Walnut --- mine is Jinshan Bone Travertine.

Here is a picture....

By the way, I really like the backsplashes you like as well. I just got samples of a "walnut" travertine subway, so it is likely smaller pieces of your floor....I am planning to use in in my kitchen with cabinets the same color as my picture above. I think they would be great with Santa Cecilia granite, what a pretty combo!

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 9:52PM
melissastar

Colorado mom...(hoping stefaniebb won't mind the brief interruption), I can't see the pulls you like enough to know what they are. But you might try looking at Gilmore from Restoration Hardware. Mine are 6" long and look similar, I think, to the ones you like. But they also make them in 8", 10" and 12" long!

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 10:31PM
Stefaniebb

mythreesonsnc I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing! It makes me feel even better about the decision.
I also have 3 sons ;)

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 11:07PM
jj1smith

Stefaniebb, we just had our SC granite installed on Thursday and it looks beautiful with our honey maple cabs!! On Saturday we had our subway tile backsplash installed. We chose Chiaro tumbled travertine and it looks so great with the granite. Tomorrow it will he grouted with Customs "haystack" grout. (from HD) I went back and forth on what accents, if any, we should add to the backsplash and am 100% sure we made the right choice by going with the classic brick pattern with no details...timeless and classic.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 12:27AM
colorado_mom

Melissa - yes - the Gilmore looks like it would be great in the 6" length - thanks!!

jjlsmith - we want pictures :) When I look at marble and travertine, I don't see the typical 3 x 6 brick or subway sizes listed very often. Did you have yours cut? Where did you purchase? thanks!

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 12:41AM
Stefaniebb

OHHH jj1smith yes please share the pictures!!

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 7:00AM
jj1smith

Colorado_mom- I purchased the 4x6 subway tiles at Lowes.
Still have to install the under cab lighting and new bin pulls.... Pics asap!

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 12:58PM
annettacm

Here is a backsplash we did for a customer. FT Light Travertine with Santa Cecilia granite. Since SC comes in more gold, beige or light colors, it all depends on the slab you pick out whether it will work with certain tiles. Same with Giallo Ornamental. We have 4 samples of GO here, all with a different base color. That dang natural stone is so... natural!! :)

Good luck. If I find any more examples of SC backsplash ideas, I'll let you know...

1 Like    Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Kitchen quote for RTA
I am shopping around for a redesigned kitchen. Below...
vonecu4
Any good, light-weight cookware out there?
I'm really not complaining. I cook on All-Clad and...
eam44
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
KitchenCraft - will they last a lifetime?
Fell in love with a specific painted door when cruising...
lookintomyeyes83
Cherry and White Granite Kitchen Reveal - Lots of Photos!
First of all- this is a thank you post to the Gardenweb...
jenibufford
Sponsored Products
Shower Door Hook in Chrome, Gold
TheBathOutlet
Winston Exeter Aluminum Cushion Arm Loveseat
LuxeDecor
36" x 36" Square Corner Shower Tray With Tile Flanges
Signature Hardware
Gray Garden Tile Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Luxe Tile Giclee Lamp Shade 13.5x13.5x10 (Spider)
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Austin Off-White Linen Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Ivory Carrera Italian marble 36-inch Vanity Cabinet by Sirio
Overstock.com
Vinyl Molding & Trim: Zamma Flooring Northern Hickory Natural 5/16 in. Thick x
$20.98 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™