Pump Continually Starts/Stops

ls973800February 1, 2013

The pump for the pool has been running/stopping/running several times that I've noticed lately.

It will stop for about a few seconds and start right up, run for a minute or two, stop again for a few seconds, and start right up again. The Hayward pumps are about 5 years old as is the pool.

Last year I was having a problem with the check system light saying no cell power. I had found the forum and repaired the K-1 solder connection. Yesterday I checked the board and the solder is still good on the repair.

This morning the pump was doing the on/off/on for about ten minutes and then continued to run OK until the timer shut it off.

I don't know if a pump is overheating (one pump for the filter, one for the sweeper/vac), or if a sensor is bad. If the pump were overheating, I would think it would stay off more than a few seconds or so. When it stops, the diagnostic on the control panel says Chlorinator Off/ Filter Delay and starts a 60 second countdown. The pump is running during this time.

This post was edited by ls973800 on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 16:46

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

I'd bet that just the motor is shot. Not that when a motor is replaced, the seal set should be also.

Scott

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 4:39PM
muddy_water

What is the brand and make of the pump?

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 6:05PM
ls973800

The pumps are Hayward about 5 years old. One for the filter, one booster for the vac/sweeper

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 7:02PM
muddy_water

Single speed ? Super Pump?

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 2:09PM
ls973800

Single speed, Hayward NorthStar pump series, SP1615Z1MNSR 2HP
Booster pump Hayward 6060 3/4 HP

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 3:10PM
muddy_water

Scott is more than likely correct that the motor is going bad. Turn off the main breaker and take the back off the motor and manually turn the shaft on the motor if it feels rough turning than you have a bad bearing and the motor or bearing in it and seal will have to be replaced.(there is a youtube video showing how to do this). If it turns freely take a look at the start capacitor www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-cVgpz7GYQ. If both of these seem to be ok than I would look at the Relay in your Aqua Logic to see if it is putting out the proper power to te motor..

Rusty

Here is a link that might be useful: Northstar

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 9:34AM
ls973800

Thanks, I'll take a look at the motor this week. The last several days everything has been fine once again.

Would the starter capacitor have anything to do with it shutting on and off? I thought if it won't start it might be the capacitor, but can it shut it off also?

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 10:42AM
muddy_water

Likely not but I have a few on those pumps that are starting to go bad (leaking dielectric fluid). So I thought while you were in there you should take a look at it...alot of times if a cap is going bad the lid (where the termials are will be raised rather than flat...like it trying to burst or implode.Just a questionwhy do you have a 2hp motor? Do you have water features on your pool? When your ready to change the pump or the cost to repair it becomes very high you should consider a Variable speed pump...if your running year round you could save alot on your power bills...see link below

Rusty

Here is a link that might be useful: Pentair

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 11:38AM
ls973800

Yes, we have about 18,000 gallons and a weeping wall with 10 outlets in the wall. This is our first pool and it is what the builder put in.

We do run year round here in the Dallas area, usually about 6 hours during the winter and 12 or so during the summer.

I will serious look into the link you posted for me, it looks pretty interesting.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
Looking for Pool Builder recommendations in Pasadena, CA
We are starting to evaluate contractors but can't find...
julieleek
salt or chlorine? pebble or plaster?
We have finally decided to build a pool, and have had...
lostinthewoodlands
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
Pool builder search sugar land, tx
Hi guys! Were closing on our brand new home in sugar...
mtrade01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™