sulfuric acid

jmas65February 20, 2008

My pool supply shop has sulfuric acid and muriatic acid. The sulfuric is a buck less per gallon, and doesn't fume. Is anybody aware of any negatives associated with using it for pH control? Staining or smells or other reactions to watch out for?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolexpert

You can use either one for PH control. I put in a link to a new product but I haven't heard any input on this maybe some others on the forum know more about this.

Here is a link that might be useful: C02 injection

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 4:30PM
poolguynj

CO2 has be used for years.

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 5:30PM
ErikC

My understanding from reading several sources from the University of Florida, etc the safest/best type of acid (for the plant!) is sulphuric acid.

The method I use to make handling sulphuric acid safer is I bought a new 5 gallon fuel container from a hardware store, it's different color than my regular fuel can and I labeled it conspicuously so I wouldn't use it in my lawn mower, and I filled it with about 4.5 gallons of water. I then carefully (taking various safety precautions) transfer two quarts of 33% sulphuric acid which I acquire at an autoparts store. This diluted solution is relatively safe to handle with only basic precautions. I then use it to reduce the pH of my tap water to about 5.2

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Baffled by my pool- peeling skim coat?
Hi all! My in ground concrete pool is leaking... I...
sabine77
Pool Filter question
Hi All, I'm new to this board. Thanks in advance for...
austinyankeefan
Pool heater shutting off after 90 degrees F.
Hello! I have a pentair minimax 200M for my pool spa/combo....
tcornell05
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
New constructions questions
I am new to the forum and new to pool ownership. I...
vpace
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™