kitchenaid gas range- pro. or no??

melkel31March 28, 2014

HELP! ;) My husband and I are remodeling our kitchen this spring. We are in the process of choosing appliances. We were sold on the GE CAFE slide in gas double oven range BUT after reading a lot of reviews including CR we decided it may not be the best appliance. Anyway.. After much research we have come to the 2 ranges below. Any advice on which to choose would be much appreciated!!

I am also wondering what the differences between a commercial-style and a professional style other than the look?? are there major differences?

Finally, bc of space (U shaped/square kitchen style) we really need to use a microhood. planning to get kitchenaid convection/microwave combo. Wondering if we need a true vent hood and NOT a microhood to handle either of these ovens. sorry for so many questions. I LOVE cooking- cook 5-6 nights a week plus b-fast every day! We've been wanting to upgrade our kitchen for a LONG time and want to make the right decisions!! thanks in advance!!!!!! :) The 2 ranges we are looking at are below.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/major-appliances-1/ranges-2/ranges-3/-[KDRS407VSS]-402104/KDRS407VSS/
or
http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[KDSS907XSP]-402115/KDSS907XSP/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pipdog

I had the KitchenAid 36 inch, 6 burner duel fuel commerical style model http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/major-appliances-1/ranges-2/ranges-3/-%5BKDRS467VSS%5D-402106/KDRS467VSS/
Not one of the ones you are considering, but a larger model.

If you go with KA, be very careful about self-cleaning the oven. After I self cleaned the oven, the oven totally pooped out on me and I had to have the entire circuit board replaced. Customer service was not great to deal with and I spent hours on the phone trying to get them to repair this problem, which is apparently a common problem with KitchenAid/Whirlpool ovens. Other than that problem, though, the unit functioned well over the 3 years we had it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Self cleaning self destruct cycle

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 6:05PM
renosarefun

pipdog:

We just ordered the 36" KA range and thank you for your information. We're now wondering if we should ask about the extended warranty.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 7:29PM
melkel31

thanks for your input! I am hoping others will chime in too for even more helpful opinions! :) We went today to try to decide and found out that the commercial kitchenaid by code apparently :( needs to have a true HOOD not a microhood which is what we were hoping to use due to space constrictions. anyone know if this is for sure true?? kinda hoping it's not and the microhood vent will work?? wishful thinking?? haha ;)

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
how to deal with delays
our cabinets were supposedly on pace to be delivered...
lmgch (formerly on GW)
Help! White Kitchen, dark counter and gold/brass fixtures???
Actual kitchen; it's dark and dull! My husband and...
Azalia Speight
marble bathroom counters in ladies room- real life
This marble counter is in the ladies' room basement...
scrappy25
Has anyone heard of/used Hominter?
Our new house build is proceeding and while we haven't...
beckysharp
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™