Faucet handle removal

ronvonOctober 27, 2012

I must sound like a complete idiot, but I cannot seem to get the handle off of my Delta series 1400 shower faucet. It is one of those long, curved handles, not the round kind. I have removed the set screw and put considerable force on it, but the handle will not budge. Obviously, I can't get to the parts I want to replace unless I can get the handle off. Is it just corrosion? I have used WD-40 to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

A drop or two of penetrating oil might help. But at this point I might instead hold a piece of wood against the handle and give that a sharp whack with the shaft of a large screwdriver. That might break it loose.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 8:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

I had the same problem last week. After struggling for a while I got out a pair of pry bars and slipped the short parts of the "L's" under the handle opposite one another. Then I pried slowly, but firmly, on both pry bars until the handle popped off. Obviously you may need to be careful about what you are prying against, but this worked for me with no damage. The handle was just a tight fit on the shaft it surrounded, and years of water, soap, and corrosion had "glued" the two parts together pretty well. After I finished my repair, the parts went back together easily without my having to clean up anything first.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 2:48AM
More Discussions
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
ashebrook
Water softener sizing
First I am sure that you have answered this a million...
swc3086
Good shower heads for low water pressure
Hi, We are living in an area with low water pressure....
lynne_melb
patentened iron removal/air filox all in one 1k?
anyone seen or tried or have a opinion on this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FVZHLC/ref=pe_54960_133354970_em_1p_0_ti#customerReviews Product...
Mike Maruska
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™