Flip stop tub drain access panel?

sherrileaOctober 7, 2011

I'm building a new house in California and was just informed by the plumber that I cannot have a flip stop waste and overflow drain in my tub without it requiring an access panel located directly behind these fittings (per code).

Can anyone tell me if this is true? I thought the requirement was for slip joint connections. Maybe flip stop mechanisms only come with slip joint connections?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Where are you putting the stop valves for the tub?

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 4:51PM
sherrilea

brickeyee, not sure I know how to answer your question. My main concern is with the master air/soaker tub. Here is the inspiration picture which is similar to our set up:

We have a water closet to the left which will have an access panel for the motor. To the right is the shower. Center front is the tub drain which we want a cable drain stop mechanism. But we are told it will require another access panel.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 5:34PM
lazypup

Code does not require stop valves for tubs or showers...

I just looked through a stack of my catalogs, then did a quick online search but I am not finding any glue-in or solder in waste & overflow kits with a flip lever on the overflow.

What I did find was "lift & turn", & "toe taps" ( Personally I prefer the toe tap)

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 5:34PM
sherrilea

Thanks lazypup. I'm resigned to going with a "lift & turn" or a "toe tap" stop for my guest baths. But I want a cable drain mechanism for my deep master tub for convenience. Don't want to have to lean way over to reach a lift and turn , or stick my foot in for a toe tap, when I want to fill the tub.

Problem is this type of stop mechanism supposedly requires an access door that has to be directly behind - not under or to the side. This give me heartache with regards to the finish tiling :-(

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 5:51PM
palimpsest

You may be able to do something like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Schluter

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 8:51PM
sherrilea

Thanks for the link palimpsest. Interesting concept. I wonder if anyone has done something like this. Would sure like to see pictures of it in place - both open and closed.

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 9:58AM
brickeyee

"Code does not require stop valves for tubs or showers..."

A rather poor setup.

Remember the code is the MINIMUM.

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 11:22AM
lazypup

I spent over 30 yrs in the plumbing trade and I could count on one hand how many tubs or showers I ever saw that had shutoff valves and nearly every one of those was installed as a DIY or a fly-by-night wannabee plumber. On the other hand, putting the entire bathroom on zone valves is quite common.

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
New under mount sink - drain off-center?
I had a new granite countertop installed with an under...
mike_lee2
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
Fire Sprinkler
Purchasing a home with an indoor fire sprinkler system....
jglo
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
Cassandra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™