Does water heater height make a difference?

mrpandyOctober 21, 2008

Is there any correlation between the height of a water heater and its efficiency?

I'm considering buying a GE 50 gallon, 12 year water heater from the Big Orange Box. They have two models - tall and medium height. I'm going to hook up the new heater in a different location than the old one, so there's no need to buy the same size. Is one recommended over the other? If there's no difference, I'll get the tall one to preserve floor space. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heimert

Look at the efficiency ratings.

In theory, minimizing surface area should increase efficiency. If my high school geometry is getting recalled okay, a cylinder of a given volume will have a smaller surface area if it is shorter and wider. However, that doesn't account for, for example, heat rising (meaning a bigger top surface is worse), or individual design characteristics.

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 4:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zl700

It is also a fact that short water heaters will deliver more hot water on first draw due to wider vessel allowing for more draw from top before the cold water incomming stratifies the entire tank.

In addition larger diameter tank bottom increases surface area for burner contact, shorter flue up center decreases chimmney effect cooling tank when burner is off.

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Hard Water or What?
We are renting an older duplex home in CT, and the...
roysterfam
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
gtrshop
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™