Buying a house where a pool was filled in...can I rebuild?

careers4uFebruary 1, 2012

We are considering buying a house where an old gunite pool cracked and the owners filled it in. What does this mean for us if we want to put in a new pool? We live in the Northeast and septic systems are always an issue, so sometimes space is limited. Is it cost-prohibitive to have the old pool dug out and rebuild? Would we want to consider another type of pool in this situation, such as composite? Thanks for any thoughts.

Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goyom

Im no builder, but a neighbor had his pool filled in here, and township code made them tear the top 4 feet of it down with a backhoe. It really tore it up, not usable again.

Then filled it with soil and covered with grass.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 5:20PM
goyom

I also meant to add there may be a cost to remove the existing structure if you ever decide to build a new pool.
I can surely see a builder charging more to remove it than just excavation of dirt alone on a standard build. Lots of rebar, plumbing and demo of the gunite that will have to be dug up and hauled away.

You may want to take this into account as a future cost.

I would definitely affect my offering price on a home.

There are some pool guys here, wait and see if they chime in.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 5:24PM
poolguynj

The old pool would require a complete removal before a new one could be installed. The township engineer would also likely require the new one to be either bigger so as to have virgin soil surrounding it or have the floor highly compacted in short lifts of 6" to 12" so the new pool doesn't settle.

Scott

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 6:40PM
careers4u

Good to know. I am going to go look at the lot plans and see if one would fit in another part of the yard. That would make more sense, it seems. It has a nice big, flat backyard, so as long as the septic is in the front and the setbacks work, I imagine it can be done. Boy, do I hate to leave my perfect pool.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 5:56PM
babs711

We just started our build and found a surprise old pool under the ground. It cost about $1500 to remove it before starting our build.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Screen around pool
Hi, This may not be the best forum for this question,...
ladoladi
Putting in a pool/new backyard, opinions on all-in-one company vs
Hello, I'm looking for some info and opinions from...
CitznFish
Inground pool contractor recommendations NJ
Looking for inground pool contractors for Tuckerton,...
leh3
New constructions questions
I am new to the forum and new to pool ownership. I...
vpace
Pool Filter question
Hi All, I'm new to this board. Thanks in advance for...
austinyankeefan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™