Inline Valve for Refrigerator Ice Maker

JD-318October 31, 2012


I am new to the Forums and I have a request. I would like to install a valve in the flexible line that connects my ice maker to the supply line that is in my crawl-space. The ice maker suffers from an issue that could be resolved if I could lessen the water pressure going to the refrigerator.

I figure that I can accomplish this by installing an "inline" ball valve or gate valve in the standard flexible plastic water line. With the valve, I can modify the pressure until I get optimal results.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding this project? I need to obtain a practical valve. Any ideas on online sources for the valve, which I believe would be 1/4 inch, brass or plastic, and would contain compression fittings on both sides of the valve?

Thanks for ANY help you all can provide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

First of all, the water entering your refrigerator is metered by a solenoid operated needle valve, and that valve is certified to work correctly at the maximum allowable water pressure of 85psi.

There are no "issues" with the ice maker than can be resolved by reducing the line pressure.

Second, a ball valve is not a throttling valve and it would not reduced the pressure.

Perhaps if you can tell us what your issue is we can advise you of the correct method of fixing it.

    Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 1:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

With these kinds of valves only the dynamic pressure will change, not static. If lower dynamic pressure is desired, a flow restrictor will suffice. You could just use smaller diameter tubing.

If you want a valve, I am sure your local hardware store can fix you up.

    Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 2:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

A ball valve does not change either static or dynamic pressure.

    Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 11:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"A ball valve does not change either static or dynamic pressure."

It can throttle if partly opened.

They are NOT designed for this though.

    Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 1:18PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Salt-free water conditioning
Hi all, Considering installing a water softener in...
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
Fleck 5600 Econominder - Salty Tasting Water
I just installed a new 1.5 cu ft water softener with...
Fleck 5600SXT 64k Setup
Well I recently had a new water softener installed...
Costco Water Ridge Dual Flush -- Need reviews
Any more reviews on the dual flush Water Ridge toilet?...
Sponsored Products
Belle Foret Mono Block Bar Faucet ORB
Twin Exposed Shower System - Rigid Riser Kit, Head & Handset Diverter
Hudson Reed
simplehuman Fragrance Free Soap Refill
Quarry Green Marble and Black 51" Wide Indoor Wall Fountain
Lamps Plus
Antique Copper Whitehaus 614.838SH Blairhaus Bathroom Shower Head & Valve
$379.00 | Blue Bath
Square Modern Shower System
Classic 58" High Green Marble and Stainless Wall Fountain
Lamps Plus
Single-Handle Brass Water Filter Faucet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™