Forever granite seal

jjnvMarch 19, 2013

My previous tenant destroyed the kitchen of our rental property, so we were forced to remodel a kitchen without much planning. I got a reasonable quote for cabinets and installation from the shop did our kitchen last year. I did not plan on using granite countertop. I think the granite requires too much care for a rental property. The KD told me they can have the granite sealed by Forever Seal in their shop for $3 extra per sq ft and they would guarantee the seal will be good for 15 years. I can't find any information about forever seal in this forum. Has anyone heard them? I'd appreciate any information you could offer.

Thanks,

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

" I think the granite requires too much care for a rental property."

The correct stone should not require much of any "care."

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 3:10PM
teachertile

Our fabricator includes the 15 year seal in the price of all their jobs. I'm not sure how it holds up though.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 3:12PM
suzanne_sl

For a rental kitchen I would go laminate. It looks good, wears well, and is a good deal less expensive than granite, quartz, or solid surface. I don't necessarily agree that granite takes too much care, but I don't really see the point of using it for a rental that could once again be trashed.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 5:12PM
jjnv

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen greasy granite too many times. We have dark brown granite in our kitchen and I am constantly wipe out water drops near the sink area so that it won't show water marks.

I have not purchased laminate before. Are you talking about the ones I can just buy from home depot? Do I have to hire another contractor to fit it after the cabinet is in place?

Thanks,

Jane

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 10:12PM
weissman

Get a bulletproof granite like blue pearl or uba tuba and it won't need sealing or any maintenance. Those lifetime sealers are a bit of a scam - what's the remedy on the warranty if they don't work!

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 11:03PM
jjnv

Uba tuba is the granite they used to quote me. I thought it must be the lowest price. What makes it low maintenance?

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 7:03AM
weissman

Dark granites like uba tuba and blue pearl are dense stones that don't absorb liquids so they don't stain and don't need sealing. There are charts online that show the density of various granites.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 11:24AM
suzanne_sl

We had laminate for years and years, but we've never actually installed/had it installed. People DIY it all the time, so it can't be too tricky or require special tools. If you're not doing it yourself, then I presume you do need someone to come in to install it. Maybe someone who's done this can help out here?

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 12:14PM
More Discussions
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
kathy6421
Delta arctic stainless faucet with Kraus ss sink
We are planning to buy a Krauss ss 30" or 32"...
poppy3212
Can anybody plz recommend a custom cabinetmaker in South Denver area?
Hello! This is my first time posting; I'm in the first...
ponderosafarm
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™