DIY making own pool plaster.

johnnylawFebruary 22, 2011

I'm replastering my gunite pool using white cement, silica sand, calcium chloride, and different colored pigments. I'll briefly explain my can of worms. Using one inch tiles strips as borders in a 45 degree stepped pattern, I am trying to replicate the traveretine tile pattern around the pool, hence the different colors. I have read mixing anywhere from 1:1,1:2,1:3 cement/sand respectfully. Ive also read to use 2-3 percent of calcium cloride, but it was unclear if that meant percentage to cement weight or weight of batch? The only answer I havent been able to find is the grit of the silica to use? Multi-grit 30,60,90? I know some colors are not mixible using calcium chloride so i'm sticking to pigments that can be. I used to be a plasterer and have done a fair amount of smoothcoat,so I have enough mechanical skills to fool myself to attempt this. I live in Phx. if the temperature changes the above mentioned. Your help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnnylaw

I forgot to mention a 1:1 ratio of water/acrylic fortifier. I have seen prices from $10.00-$40.00 per gallon. Is there a specific brand or type to use for pool plaster?

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 1:13PM
renovxpt

Johnnylaw, IMO you should use the 1/1 fortified mix for the scratch coat and switch to 1cement/2sand unfortified for the finish coat. If you want to fortify the finish coat try to acquire some plastic trowels. I would not suggest using any calcium unless your in a hurry.

The cheaper bonding agents just have a lower % of solids. Something like acryl 60 is a good choice.

Good luck on your project.

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 4:45PM
just-a-pb

Johnny,
Talk to these guys, they are local to phoenix.
You can probably by the mix from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Universal cement

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
changing pool filter
I AM TOLD BY MY POOL SERVICE THAT MY FILTER IS TOO...
rudnick
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
What pump are you using?
We have a 30,000 gal gunite in ground pool with a small...
lindamarie
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™