Stupid covered pool enclosure question

Fori is not pleasedFebruary 24, 2011

I don't know pools. Please be patient. :)

I'm looking at purchasing a home with a pool. It's an old scuzzy pool and will need a lot of attention. But what it really would need before we could move in is a fence.

But in the interests of safety and energy efficiency (maybe?) and less UV radiation (maybe?) and less maintenance (maybe?) and fewer mosquito bites, how ridiculous is a conservatory-type structure over the pool? It doesn't get cold here, just chilly. It doesn't really get hot either, a few days a year over 90F. Weather, no. Earthquakes, yes. (Lexan OK!)

Does anybody do this? I'm thinking of the old screened patio rooms with the glass panels one adds in the winter. They don't seem too popular for pools and I'm sure there's a good reason. What is it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

Thanks, PC. I suspect at a certain point it makes more sense to rip out the old pool and start from scratch than try to repair and modernize an old one. I'll see what the pool inspector has to say before deciding that, of course!

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 5:42PM
c9pilot

I thought more experts would chime in here, but I think when you start enclosing a pool with something other than screen, you are now talking about an "indoor" pool and you have to factor in heat and humidity.
A screen "bird cage" (Florida-speak) may be necessary if you find that you can't enjoy your pool due to bugs. If they turn out to be no-see-ums, you have to get a special screening material to keep them out.
I'm fortunate to have enough breeze and far enough from swampy, mangrove, retention pond or preservation areas that I don't need a cage.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 3:22PM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks for the input, C9. Ventilation would be important I agree. A less glamorous option would be a fence and a retractable cover. I'll have to do a search and see if anyone likes those--the ones that slide back on rails. Insects aren't a huge problem, just a tiny concern.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 2:54PM
c9pilot

Someone started a thread for indoor pool advice in the past couple of months (no time to find it for you, sorry) and someone either posted a picture or a link to a pool with a sort of sliding winter cover, somewhat like a sliding glass door, but 3D. It sounds like what you're describing to me.
You might do a search for that thread.

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 7:37AM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks--I'll look for it.

We're thinking more about this sort of thing now, with a fence, and I know nothing about this brand and am not endorsing it etc. but the overall concept seems doable. (Especially since I'm not the tall one :) )

Here is a link that might be useful: retractable pool cover you can get under

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 12:53PM
lindamarie

I have been considering something like this because we have alot of leaves blow in the pool

Did you see the cost anywhere?

Bookmark   March 3, 2011 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
AquaShield pool enclosure
I have AquaShield pool enclosure for less than two...
aquashield2
Remounting aluminum track for a cover in a salt water pool
I've got a CoverPools automatic cover for my saltwater...
nick_shirley
Owner Builder Process - Full Backyard - San Diego
After years of research, we finally pulled the trigger...
David Peace
I will answer pool plaster questions
For 23 years I was in the swimming pool plaster industry...
poolplasterexpert
J.L. Blodgett abandons pool project
I wanted to send along a note of caution to all members...
ctm14
Sponsored Products
Bonn Green Fusion Jack Mini Pendant
$230.40 | Bellacor
AICO Furniture - Windsor Court Dresser and Mirror Set in Vintage...
Great Furniture Deal
Aico Furniture - Tuscano Mansion Bed -...
Great Furniture Deal
Modern Fan Company | Pharos Ceiling Fan
$436.00 | YLighting
Top-SI Coax Opal Fusion Jack Mini Pendant
$200.88 | Bellacor
AICO Furniture - Monte Carlo II 3 Piece Occasional Set -...
Great Furniture Deal
Icicle Opal Fusion Jack LED Mini Pendant
$237.60 | Bellacor
37" Bamboo Wall-Mount Vessel Sink Vanity - Triangular Brackets
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™