17 year old cat facing eye removal
Hi! I'm usually hanging around the kitchen forum, but I'm afraid they can't help me this time.
We have a small sweet cat named Sophie (a.k.a. the "Princessa") whom I adopted when she was 8 weeks old. From very early on, she has had two different colored eyes. The right eye had been changing for the past couple of years, most recently getting large and bulgy. It never seemed to be causing any pain or discomfort, so we've been watching it and having the vet check it every visit. His guess was that it was a tumor or cancer. We've talked about options, one of which was to remove the eye, but we had pretty much decided that we didn't want to put a 17 year old cat through the trauma and pain of surgery or the danger of anesthesia.
Two days ago it perforated. Looks like a hernia. We took her to a cat opthomologist yesterday and he can see melanoma at the back of the eyeball, but he said if she's otherwise healthy, removing the eye is still an option. We went back to our vet and had her x-rayed -- no visible signs of cancer elsewhere -- and had blood drawn. We're waiting to hear the results of the blood tests. If the blood work looks good, then she's a candidate for surgery.
So now we're back to the question of "Do we put a 17 year old cat through this?" Locigally, we've been telling ourselves "no". But she's still spry and athletic, still has a good appetite, still grooms herself, and through this whole ordeal over the past couple of days has purred continually. She still seems happy to be here and doesn't seem ready to go. I know that no one can really help answer this for us, but I don't really know what to do. If she was in pain, the decision would be clear, but she just seems happy. I feel a little lost.