Fabricator said 2" marble backsplash is impossible! Is this true?

threeapplesMarch 27, 2013

I am trying hard to achieve the Plain English Design Spitalfields look, which has a very short backsplash. The fabricator said the marble will crumble if cut that thin. Do any of you have experience with this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhall

Granite is more likely to fracture that short, and marble is softer. I'd be concerned.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 2:40PM
palimpsest

I wonder if it could be cut at 3-1/2 inches, installed first and the counter butted up against it, effectively submerging some of the height behind the thinkness of the counter.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 2:58PM
threeapples

That's an interesting option, palimpsest. If not, would the 3" backsplash throw off all we are trying to achieve?

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 3:04PM
live_wire_oak

The easy way to accomplish this is to cut the backsplash from the same slab in a series of smaller sections and then seam them. When you take the one slab piece and section it, if the fabricator is good, then it still looks like one long piece. Itt's what we had to do on our full height backsplash. As one piece, it was too fragile and difficult to install. So, they cut it into sections and then just epoxied it together as each piece was installed. It looks like one piece from 2' away. You can see the seam if you get closer, but the only time you'll ever do that is to scrub off the grease from frying the chicken.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 3:12PM
pentimento

A two inch marble backsplash is possible; breezygirl put one in her kitchen. See the link below to a gw thread where she included a post about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Breezygirl's two inch marble backsplash

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 3:14PM
Gigi_4321

I have a two inch splash, no problem for my fabricator and no problems with it so far. My marble is 2cm Calacatta. If yours is 3cm, or a soft marble, maybe that is the problem?

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 3:15PM
lazy_gardens

It depends on the kind of marble and the length of the pieces. "Veiny" marbles are prone to breaking at the veins.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 10:14PM
threeapples

Our is Vermont Montclair Danby 3 cm.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 10:15PM
breezygirl

Pentimento posted my kitchen with 2" splashlette. Macro view:

I hadn't planned on going this route, but my fabricator made some mistakes in this side of the kitchen so I offered this as a compromise. My very veiny Carrara is 4cm thick, but my fabricator told me they couldn't make a small strip of marble with a stone that thick so they used a 2cm Carrara for the splashlette. I initially asked for a 1" strip, but 2" was as small as they could go to ensure stability.

I'm guessing that your Danby isn't so common that it's available in several thicknesses. Have you seen 2cm Danby in your area? Even if available, you'll have an issue over who pays for an additional slab just to get that thin splash material.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Karran quartz sink?
I really like the look and supposed durability of the...
oasisowner
Corian Countertop -Show your pics!
Hi, I'm considering installing a corian countertop...
MercerM
How do I get a rich, warm, chocolate brown stain on oak cabinets?
We originally wanted white cabinets, but the painter...
aryno
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?
I think dark hardwood floors look beautiful with off...
peemps
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™