Replacing Insinkerator Garbage Disposal

John__ShowMe__USAOctober 10, 2010

1/3 hp Badger. Broke this morning and flooded my cabinet under the sink. I want to get rid of entirely! Don't need one anyways. Is there something on the market that will just bolt right in and replace it with just pipe? The opening seems to be part of the sink. Some sort of adapter needed?

Thanks,

jt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asolo

You will want to remove the drain that incorporates the ISE mounting and replace it with a conventional drain. This is a nuisance, of course, but not difficult. You'll find conventional drains at hardware stores, plumbing supply outlets, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Just be careful to remove all of the left over plumber's putty on the old one and put sufficient new PP to seal the new one.

Add piping/traps to complete the job and that's it. A little mess and a few curses and you'll have what you want.

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 12:34PM
John__ShowMe__USA

Thanks for the fast reply!

My dishwasher drains into the Badger 1 which further complicates things.

Not sure what to do at this point. Think I will go to HD tomorrow and ask around. It might be easier for me just to replace it with a new one and and never use it.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 2:57PM
thull

I don't know that you'll get away without using it if you replace it. Whatever washes in there or gets pumped in from the DW will mean you have to run it eventually. My wife is always forgetting to run it before running the DW and then it backs up in the sink when the DW drains.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I'd consider getting a sure-enough Insinkerator over the Badger. Higher power (3/4hp min) and a little better built even if by the same company. The extra cost might be worth it for it to work better and last longer. Shop around and see if you can get a deal.

My office has a Badger in the break room sink, and it's been replaced after burning out the motor. And that's with a very minimal load of stuff going through it, though I suspect that a plastic utensil did the deed.

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 10:00PM
asolo

Badgers are rubbish, but the line just above is fine...if you want it....but I don't think you do based on what you wrote.

You will have zero trouble connecting DW outlet to your new drain without disposal. Any hardware store or Lowe's or Home Depot attendant can show you what's needed. Very common request. Don't be intimidated by this.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 1:14PM
brickeyee

If you want something that will last and work, get at least a one horsepower GD with a stainless steel grinding chamber.

While not much goes down ours anyway (old habits from having a septic system once) a decent unit should last at least 10+ years.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 2:45PM
John__ShowMe__USA

Got delayed for a few days, but finally finished yesterday.

No more Insinkerator for me, ever. Several employees in the plumbing department told me that used to be a good brand, but are getting numerous complants abt the casings cracking in less than ten years.

Mine must have been leaking for a long time before the bottom seam gave away.

One last thing... the Insinkerator basket had a retaining ring. Not easy to see unless you know it is there. Was driving me crazy trying to remove the basket. On my 3rd visit to the store one of the employees told me about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: retaining ring

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 8:25AM
asolo

Ok, then. John's in the club.

Thanks for coming back and showing result.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 9:25AM
More Discussions
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
shellking
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™