Plumbing stollen - while fixing what should I do?

tivolimanOctober 23, 2011

I purchased a cabin, and this summer, a thief broken into the basement, and stole the copper tubing from the ceiling of the basement.

So, while I'm having the copper tubing replaced - are there things I should consider adding?

The water line into the house is 3/4 inch pipe, but all pipes in the house are 1/2 inch. Should I add some 3/4 copper tubing to the basement, to help take a shower and flush the toilet downstairs.

Should I add a special joint to the pipes feeding the hot water tank - so the tank could be removed. The cabin will be locked up in the winter.

Are there other 'features' I should add to the pipes to reduce shock, to ease draining.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

In short - I have plumbing fixtures to replace in the basement of a 25 year old house.

The hot water tank is electric.

Thanks for the help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

I would replace with pex or FlowGard Gold CPVC. At this time, thieves have little interest in stealing those.

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 10:18AM
weedmeister

If you don't have a drain line, it might be good to add one. That is, a faucet to which you could connect a hose and drain the system, not a floor drain.

If you don't have them, you could think about ball valves for your main cutoff and any others like HW and outside faucets. You could wait on the HW until you need to replace the WH.

Is this a well?

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 5:10PM
greg_2010

I'd just like to second bus driver's comment.
Once a thief knows that a place is easy to hit, they just wait a little while until whatever they stole is replaced and hit it again.
It would be a shame to replace all of the copper and have it stolen again.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
patentened iron removal/air filox all in one 1k?
anyone seen or tried or have a opinion on this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FVZHLC/ref=pe_54960_133354970_em_1p_0_ti#customerReviews Product...
Mike Maruska
Culligan vs. Kinetico for very hard water
We just moved into a 3 year old house. The previous...
kate_ca
Fleck 5600SXT 64k Setup
Well I recently had a new water softener installed...
SheeB
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™