Granite and Tile Samples

sail_awayMarch 28, 2013

Tomorrow the fabricators come to template for our granite countertops. We've narrowed down our choice of backsplashes, but will make the final choice after the granite is installed.

What did all of you do with your granite and tile samples when you were finished with them? For now, I am only going to dispose of the granite we didn't choose and the tile we absolutely ruled out and don't like. Even though we think we've narrowed it down to two choices, I know our opinion could change once the granite is installed.

Anyway, what to do with the unneeded samples? One bunch of them I am taking back to the tile showroom, per their request. Otherwise, I have no practical use for them but I hate to throw them in the landfill. I have no desire to make trivets or anything else with them, so they are probably useless and need to be disposed of, but I'm wondering if there's some other choice that I'm not seeing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debrak_2008

I returned all my samples whether they wanted them back or not. Actually I didn't return the one that the fabricator dug out of garbage bin, it went in our garbage but it was a jagged odd piece.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 2:39PM
a2gemini

I returned many of them but the mail order versions are still in my basement - maybe I will use them ideas for our bathroom remodel - otherwise, I will give to my friends who are looking - I have one who already wants to see my "collection".

Otherwise - check a school to see if you they can use them for art projects.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 7:01PM
localeater

I'm not at that stage yet, but I know my local art school will take them since they have taken from acquaintances..

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 7:20PM
sail_away

Thanks for the art school/department recommendation. I'll follow up on that.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 8:09PM
SaraKat

I returned all of them too even if they didn't want them I would leave them at their door or somewhere. I just couldn't throw them away. They must know what to do with them. One time I took them back to the slabs I got them from and just placed them by them so someone else could take it home instead of chipping another sample. They won't always knock a corner off for you anymore so my feeling is it's good if people bring them back.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 8:38PM
sail_away

SaraKat, I agree. Unfortunately, I also have a number of samples that I ordered online. I am returning most of the local ones. For the samples that were sent to me, I'll need to check into the art classes.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 11:52PM
kitchendetective

I use the small marble and granite samples as risers for objects on my mantel that need to be a different height for composition purposes. I use individual tiles as coasters; I placed four felt pads on the bottom of each tile to protect furniture surfaces.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 5:16AM
SmartDesignerGirl

Return them. If they don't want them back, you could denote them to your local interior design school. They always have uses for the samples.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 2:22PM
lazy_gardens

If they can be returned ... do it.

If they can't, many crafters use tiles and stone for mosaics. Put them on Craigslist.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
White on White & other (mis) Matched Kitchens
I was at a friend's house, an artist, last week showing...
Carrie B
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
Ikea cover panel installation question (Akurum line)
Hi all! I was ready to post this to ikeafans.com and...
criv227
Moen Motionsense faucets
Hello! I just installed a Moen Motionsense kitchen...
yooper856
Liebherr cs2062 door badly scratched
Hi everyone, I am considering the purchase of a "scratch...
Chris Treadwell
Sponsored Products
Accents Borders & Trims: Daltile Flooring Castle Metals 2 in. x 2 in. Aged
$6.95 | Home Depot
Safavieh Handmade Metro Black Suede Leather Metro Shag (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Lyons Industries Shower Bases Elite 54 in. x 27 in. Single Threshold Shower
Home Depot
Porcelain Floor & Wall Tile: Daltile Flooring Cliff Pointe Rock 12 in. x 12 in.
$4.16 | Home Depot
Sample-Lancaster 3x6 Dove Ceramic Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Hydro Systems Bathtubs Trenton 5.5 ft. x 32 in. Right Drain Bathtub in White
Home Depot
12x12 Nexus Classic White Grey Veins Self Adhesive Vinyl Floor Tiles
Overstock.com
Peyton Brown Tech Track Pendant for Lightolier Track Systems
Euro Style Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™