how many elbows is too much?

homeboundOctober 31, 2011

Is there any rule of thumb on whether 6 elbows on 1/2 copper is too many for good water flow to a shower mixer? I'm installing a Kohler with their large shower head. I can either use the existing supply lines with 5/6 elbows total front the crawlspace ceiling line below, or I can cut out 2/ea by routing more directly in the crawlspace. Do you think we will have a noticeable improvement in water flow or not? Thanks much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

A copper 90deg elbow has a fitting insertion loss equal to 1" of straight copper pipe, therefore if you have 6 elbows it would have the same effect as adding another 6" on a straight run of pipe.

At the flow rates of a shower head the friction head loss would be almost negligible.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 11:59AM
homebound

Thanks lazypup.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 12:03AM
lazypup

Just out of curiosity I worked it out.

Each elbow is has an insertion loss equivalent to 1" of 1/2" copper pipe so 6 elbows would be equivalent to adding 6" or 1/2foot of pipe.

At 3gpm the "Friction Head Loss" is 3.2psi/100ft of pipe which then equals 0.032psi/ft.

1/2ft of pipe would then cause a friction head loss of 0.16psi.

By contrast, if you were to raise the shower head 6" that would cause a "Vertical static head loss" of 0.2195psi so the 6 elbows would only cause approximately 1/13 as much loss as raising the shower head 6".

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 3:35PM
homebound

Very interesting. I WAS going to raise the shower head a few inches. Practically-speaking, do I need to rethink that? This is a first floor bathroom, if that helps.

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 7:20AM
lazypup

The Vertical Static Head Loss is 0.434psi per foot of vertical rise and here again, the loss is so slight that it doesn't bear consideration.

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 9:26AM
attofarad

For 1/2" pipe, the equivalent length is about one foot per 90, which will give you under 0.4psi loss at 3gpm for your 6 elbows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper.org tubing handbook

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
Water pressue and other plumbing issues (MULTIPLE ISSUES - LONG)
I have a couple plumbing issues in my house. Some background... Approximately...
gtrshop
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
ohmmm_gw
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™