Painting Kitchen Cabinets

efghiMarch 17, 2014

Hi, I have vineer kitchen cabinets that are about 25 years old. If I am going to sand the cabinets down, do I still need to clean them with TSP? Wouldn't all the grime dirt get removed by sanding?

I also read on a few sites that if I am to use oil primer, then I should not use TSP to clean?

I would like to use the BM's Natura line for priming and painting. Has anyone else done this and have had issues with the results? I love BM's colors and would like to stick to BM's lines that are low/zero VOC.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lam702

I haven't painted cabinets, but I would say to definitely clean them before sanding. If you want the paint to stick, surface prep is the most important thing. Also the least fun to do, but its important. Scrub them well, rinse well and dry with clean rags. Sand, then wipe down with a tack rag, then a clean rag with something like denatured alcohol? Not sure about that part, I used denatured alcohol to prep my cabinets for refacing veneer, someone who's painted cabinets could tell you if that is correct for paint prep. THe denatured alcohol removes any oils or residue. Let dry well, then paint. Surface prep is tedious for sure, but so important if you want paint to adhere well. I would also suggest a good primer, then a good paint. I haven't stated painting my bath cabinets yet, but I have read on this site that BM cabinet coat is a good choice.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
So confused!!
Okay kind people I need assistance as I am overwhelmed...
Susan McGoldrick-Meerdink
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™