Gemstone quartz vs. hydrazzo?

texgirl1February 13, 2013

Can anyone help me with this? Each builder says each finish is superior to the other!

I have scoured the internet as much as I can and find good and bad on both. Really appreciate any feeback quickly as I have to choose a builder!

This is so difficult. So many decisions. Crazy stressed.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
acaciolo

I am not familiar with the gemstone brand of quartz, but generally, the quartz finish will be slightly rougher and isn't polished like hydrazzo. Hydrazzo contains marble dust, which is soft, so it can be polished smooth. The only issue with hydrazzo is that because it contains softer marble, it can be more susceptible to staining. Some companies, like SGM (maker of diamond brite) give a shorter warranty on their hydrazzo type product.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.monogramcustompools.com

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 4:09PM
texgirl1

Thanks for responding.... I am worried about the quartz being rough.. we have already signed with gemstone builder for other reasons... Gemstone does make a polished product to... but haven't asked how much to upgrade. Probably not in my budget. He says the qtz we are getting as of now has 8 yr warranty..... Thanks again very much

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 9:22PM
Davy_K

To Texgirl1:

What did you decide on your pool finish? How do you like it?

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 2:28AM
Hover

I chose a Hydrazzo finish in my pool to gain a uniform look with no high or low variance. I can see the polish swirls in the surface as well as light and dark finish throughout the pool. Does anyone have a picture of their Hydrazzo finish pool that could be posted so I might compare? The surface is smooth to the touch yet I am very displeased with the look. Thank you

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
Cleaning pool filter
Does your pool filter look like this after it's been...
bossyvossy
Pool Filter question
Hi All, I'm new to this board. Thanks in advance for...
austinyankeefan
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™