1 1/2 year old pool appears to be sinking

Niki FriedmanJanuary 2, 2011

We had a gunite pool installed in Oct of '09 (we live outside of DC in Northern VA).

In several areas, the concrete deck has separated from the flagstone coping and the coping is lower than the deck, in some places as much as 3".

Any ideas as to what's going on here? Is this normal in cold weather?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sceadu

Most likely the pool is not sinking but your deck could be heaving. If the subgrade was wet or not compacted properly then it can swell in cold weather and push your deck upwards. Since it is very unlikely that your pool would have settled un evenly check your water level on your tile. If it is level all around the pool then then deck moved.

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 6:51AM
Niki Friedman

Thanks. Our pool is closed for the winter so we can't see any water. Even if we could, the water is well below the tile line.

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 9:00AM
Niki Friedman

Thank you SO much poolcenter.com! My husband and I are nodding in agreement when reading your reply- we think you're spot on.

We have not caulked yet- we still have the foam-like strips between the concrete. At what point next year should this be done?

We've already noticed an improvement so hopefully things will even out.

Again- thanks so much! The picture on your blog is exactly what we've got going on here.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 8:42PM
poolguynj

After the Spring's main pollen drop. Some caulks take longer to skin over than others.

Scott

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 9:34PM
bosox1086

Boy am I glad I read this. It's our first winter with our pool (we're in SE PA) and was out at XMas with the kids and noticed the deck was slightly higher than the coping...about an inch in one spot. Was too worried my pool was sinking. Frost heave makes sense though as we also just have that foam like stuff between the deck and coping. Hopefully in the spring it'll level itself back out or at least get close and then we'll caulk it before next winter.

Thanks.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 8:50PM
poolguynj

Teeter tottering is possible. Without pix, we won't know. We do know it's Winter and moist clay expands and when it freezes, gets even bigger.

Settlement near the dig would have caused it to sink near the coping, not rise. Your own pix show this.

Scott

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 3:49PM
kirk_concretejack_com

Settlement near the pool would cause it to sink near the pool, settlement away from the pool with relatively less or no settlement in between would cause it to rise at the edge of the pool.

To help ensure that it drops back to its original level if it is just frost heave, you can try putting 60 gallon trash cans full of water on the areas that are lifted the night before a day when temps are predicted to be above freezing.

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
Exceptional Pool Builders who build in Cleveland, OH area?
My wife and I are beginning the design stage of our...
jc_ufl
Transition between two DiamondBrite colors
Trying to figure out best way to do this. Will be doing...
jscozz
J.L. Blodgett abandons pool project
I wanted to send along a note of caution to all members...
ctm14
Remounting aluminum track for a cover in a salt water pool
I've got a CoverPools automatic cover for my saltwater...
nick_shirley
Owner Builder Process - Full Backyard - San Diego
After years of research, we finally pulled the trigger...
David Peace
Sponsored Products
Opulence Two Light Bronze Clear Crystal Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Oval-Shaped White Ceramic Vessel Sink
TheBathOutlet
Indigo Hills Rug 2' x 3' - NIGHT SKY (BLUE)
$99.00 | Horchow
Rondelle Suspension by Leucos Lighting
$2,013.16 | Lumens
MaxLite ELLF405UX50 MaxLite StaxMAX LED Flood Lights
EnvironmentalLights.com
Essex Sand Tech Lighting MonoRail Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Bradford Three-Light Bath Fixture
$238.00 | Bellacor
Kartell | Cindy Table Lamp
$350.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for: