Pex vs. copper plumbing for new construction with well water?

threeapplesSeptember 30, 2011

Hi,

We are hearing the pros and cons of both systems and leaning toward Pex because of the cost of copper, but also because we hear that copper doesn't work with well water. I'm learning quickly that Gardenweb is a fantastic resource, so though I'd ask about these options here.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justalurker

To discuss this intelligently we'd need to see the results of a comprehensive test of your well water.

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 11:01PM
alphonse

"...also because we hear that copper doesn't work with well water."

The unstated assumption in what you hear is that the water is acidic. Maybe, maybe not. Only way to know is have it tested.

Non-metallic piping sidesteps the corrosion issue, and there's no argument about the price difference versus "plastic", but if your water is acidic you will need to treat regardless as other components in the plumbing have metal parts; typically brass/bronze alloys.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 5:58AM
bus_driver

Since the days that we dug wells by hand in my area, and I helped on some of those, observation tells me that the analysis of the water in a particular well can change over time. And most of the well water in my area does damage copper pipe. For that reason, I used only stainless steel pump and fittings and polyethylene pipe in my well. And avoided copper and brass as much as possible in the above-ground fittings. No regrets. Now 6 years with no repairs and hoping for at least 15 more years of trouble-free service.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 6:57AM
brickeyee

Pex still uses brass fittings in contact with the water.

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 10:11AM
bus_driver

CPVC uses a minimum of brass. Glowgard Gold is a better grade of CPVC, much better in my opinion.

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
Fleck 5600SXT 64k Setup
Well I recently had a new water softener installed...
SheeB
patentened iron removal/air filox all in one 1k?
anyone seen or tried or have a opinion on this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FVZHLC/ref=pe_54960_133354970_em_1p_0_ti#customerReviews Product...
Mike Maruska
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
shellking
Freezeless Hydrant Frozen??
Hi, I have freezeless hydrant that has never given...
den75
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™