Installation of auto fill

papaflbearJanuary 16, 2013

I'm building a gunite pool and neglected to install an autofill before shooting the shell. My question is: Can I seal around the equalizer line/pipe of the auto fill well enough to provide a water tight seal? The pool finish hasn't been installed yet.
Do any of the PB's have any suggestions of the best product to seal the gunite around the equalizer pipe.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovxpt

hydraulic cement, you can buy it at home depot

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 9:26PM
papaflbear

Renovxpt, thanks for the reply on the hydraulic cement which is what I suspected would be best but it is always good to have that confirmed. Are there any problems with drilling thru the gunite at this stage (before the finish is installed)?

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 9:33PM
natural_one

papa- no problem with drilling a hole through the shell. Hydraulic cement is great, but I would encourage your plasterers to use water stops on all every shell penetrations....returns, leveler, drains, etc.

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 9:31AM
papaflbear

Natural one -thanks for the confirmation on drilling thru the shell but how is a water stop installed on returns or drains that are already in place? I thought water stops have to be in place prior to pouring the concrete or in this case, the gunite.

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 8:16PM
poolguynj

It goes around the joint where the hydraulic cement, pipe, and gunite wall are, both sides preferably. It acts as a membrane to keep the water from penetrating.

Scott

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 4:48AM
Rack Etear

Typically Hydraulic Cements are expansive, so it's not a good idea to put them underneath plaster.

If I were to install an autofill in an exiting pool I would patch the pipe in with a sand/cement mix, and use the pool plaster for waterproofing.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 12:31AM
papaflbear

Scott, thanks for your comments but I'm not sure how effective the water stop would be unless I'm missing something. Most of the water stop materials that I'm familiar with indicates that there needs to be a minimum of 2" of concrete on either side of the water stop. I don't think I'll have that thickness on the existing returns/drains. Is there a particular water stop material that you or natural one are referring to?

Racket, thanks for your input too. I agree that hydraulic cements are generally expansive but I thought only during the cure period. Once cured, they should be stable. Is it safe to assume that you have had experience where the hydraulic cement did expand and you had the plaster pop?

Thanks to everyone who have offered advice on this.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Need help with sealing gunite to rock, and black alge
Hey friends! I purchased a house last summer in Houston,...
Klint Turney
Atlantis pool and spa (Magnolia Tx) anyone have any feedback?
Searching for a pool builder and looks like Atlantis...
makingbeacon
Pool resurface question
I am having my pool resurfaced and the supplies were...
lbrandt5
Exceptional Pool Builders who build in Cleveland, OH area?
My wife and I are beginning the design stage of our...
jc_ufl
I will answer pool plaster questions
For 23 years I was in the swimming pool plaster industry...
poolplasterexpert
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™