Hot tub heater size - 250 vs. 400 btu?

rockybirdJanuary 20, 2012

I have never had a hot tub, and whenever I have used them with friends, I didnt realize that you had to turn it on 1.5 hours in advance! That seems like a little bit of a pain. I am looking into getting the remote that works via iphone.

The pool co. has installed a 250 btu for a 10' x 10' spa. For $400 I can upgrade to a 400 btu. Is it worth it? The manufacturer said it will cut down the heating time by 50%. Apparently, the vast majority of people use the 250 btu and this is what they recommend. I am not heating the pool as it is huge (14' x 60') and not worth the expense.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Hot Tub Spa Ratings

If that $400 includes any additional necessary labor (including the gas line), I'd jump on it.

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 8:12PM
poolguynj

Both will use the same amount of gas to heat the spa but the amount of time needed to get there will be cut in half almost. That being said, the gas supply needed is larger. Chances are, your home's gas meter will need to be up sized, the question being how much larger. Some utilities do it for free, others charge for it.

Scott

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 8:31PM
rockybird

Thanks guys! I was told I need to upsize the gas meter anyway. We installed a huge gas line (2 inches diameter I think) from the meter to the heater. We just passed inspection on this, so I need to get the gas co. out here. I dont think they charge to upsize it. It sounds like I should do the 400 btu. I am not sure about the cost of labor...we are still working that out, but it sounds like it will be worth it.

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 11:11PM
poolguynj

The main part is done if you ran a 2" line from the meter to the heater. All that's left is the connection to the heater and that is an hour job, including electric, pool plumbing and another 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour for the gas.

BTW, don't tell the gas company its 400 BTU, its 400,000 BTUs. There is a few hundred cubic feet per minute difference in the supply needed.

Scott

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 8:33AM
rmrc12

I have a 400 btu heater for my pool and spa. My spa is about 7x7 and often times jumping in the spa is a spur of the moment decision at the end of the day. At only $400 difference in cost I definitely would not want something smaller than 400 btu or your 10x10 spa will take a long time to heat up and require significant planning ahead. IMO

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 11:28AM
Rack Etear

I would spend the $400 more for a 400k heater.

I probably wouldn't charge more for labor unless I had to bring an extra helper to install it.

Bookmark   January 24, 2012 at 11:52PM
rockybird

Thanks guys! It is already in. They didnt charge extra for labor as I added on an ap/remote that uses the iphone to turn the heater on.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
Diamod Brite pool color photos
PLEASE!!!! Need to see finished pool pictures with...
Braden Taylor
Pools
I would really like to know what kinds of materials...
zthal24
HELP!! Pool color and pricing with Pebbletec
Help please and fast!! When we started our pool I told...
tonyagrieser
Everyone's pics in this one thread
In case you didn't see her post---Angie is making the...
Boby Huffard
My pebble sheen finish is so uneven...
Our pebble sheen finish was completed on January 1st...
Susan Scearce
Sponsored Products
Porcelina Semi-Flush Bowl Suspension by Justice Design Group
$396.00 | Lumens
Huppe | Studio Media Unit
YLiving.com
Amba E Curved EC-20 Hardwired Towel Warmer - ECB-20
$704.00 | Hayneedle
Fancy Peacock Rug 7'6" x 9'6" - PEACOCK
$1,349.00 | Horchow
Mini Star Chrome Three-Light Mini Pendant with Royal Cut Topaz Brown Crystal and
$450.00 | Bellacor
Area Rug: John Brown 6' x 9'
Home Depot
Sebastian Deck Mount Exposed Pipe Shower & Gooseneck Tub - Lever Handles
Signature Hardware
20 Bottle Evolution Series Wine Refrigerator
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™