Pool too narrow?

rockybirdJanuary 14, 2012

I have the concrete poured for the pool and the coping and now I am worried the pool is too narrow! It's 60' x 14'. It was designed by an architect, who wanted it to be even narrower. There isnt much room in the back to have gone more than a couple feet wider if there is still to be a back deck, as there is a huge gulley farther out. I might have been able to bring it closer to the house. My father who just got back from a trip to Mexico told me this is the trend and trust the architect. It was meant to be a lap pool, but I didnt want to restrict it to that. Is this too narrow???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
march2012

too narrow for what? If it looks fine, then that would be the only thing I would worry about. Otherwise it is ok for sports, laps and general floating around. Anyway it looks like you are pretty far into it

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 9:11PM
cmanley33

I would have to agree with March2012. Looks good to me!

Bookmark   January 15, 2012 at 6:29PM
rockybird

Thank you!!! I was looking at it yesterday and suddenly it looked so narrow to me, that I panicked. It helps to hear that you dont think it looks too narrow to be of any use for anything other than laps. Maybe I over-reacted!

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 2:17AM
cmanley33

You are welcome. I am also in the middle of a pool build in MD and have panicked, overreacted, freaked out myself on more than one occasion. It is a big project and I think it is normal to over think it. You are going to love it once it is done. Congrats!

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 8:11AM
paradigmdawg

Our pool is just 10' wide on one end and 16' on the other. That's all that would fit and no regrets what-so-ever. We have as many as 6 people per side for volleyball and it's just awesome.

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 3:10PM
rockybird

Thanks cmanley! I havent been able to devote the time and thought to this pool as I should with work and remodeling the house at the same time. I worry that I will find I made mistakes that I will regret later.

paradigmdawg - your pool is beautiful! I love it. The landscaping around it is also very nice. It is good to hear that you can play sports with lots of people..

Thank you again! I do feel better. :)

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 1:40AM
rockybird

Good luck with your pool build cmaley33! Hopefully, we will be proudly posting pics of finished pools before too long.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 1:43AM
c9pilot

It looks lovely and you'll be surprised how wide it is once you fill it with water.
I had the same thing with my pool - looked tiny for a while during construction - but now it's huge.
And when we built a house, I remember standing in what would eventually be the garage and thinking, "there's no way two cars can fit in here", but when it was done, it easily fit two big trucks with room to spare.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 7:59AM
ncrealestateguy

It looks less than 60 feet long. Otherwise you'll be fine.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 5:20PM
brentr_gw

You have plenty of room. Ours is 10 x 20 and 10 people are playing modified volley ball.

Here is 25 people in our pool, ages range from 4years to 70years. As you can see I have plenty more room for more people. We had a small party but not everyone wanted to participate in the group photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pool build in Jacksonville

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 5:13AM
rockybird

Thank you so much for the replies and the great pool pics. I feel so much better about this pool. :) LOL bentr - great looking and fun pool!

I think you are right c9pilot, once I get water in it (if I can EVER pick out tile!), it will look bigger.

Thanks ncrealestateguy. It doesnt look 60 feet, but it is for sure.

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 7:51PM
houseful

Oh my, 60 feet long?!? You'll have plenty of room. Nothing to worry about. It's going to be beautiful and I can't want to see the rest of your house on the Kitchen forum soon!!

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 5:36PM
rockybird

Thank you houseful! I decided to make it a lap pool and it worked out nicely as at 60 feet the coping meets the decking that wraps around the house. They just finished installing the kitchen last week. I need to get back on the kitchen forum and post the pics.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 12:37PM
houseful

Looking great! Yes, the TKO group will definitely want to see this!

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
Small 3/4' mosaic waterline tile - mistake?
Hello, We're getting ready to sign our contract, and...
oakrunfarm
Owner Builder Process - Full Backyard - San Diego
After years of research, we finally pulled the trigger...
David Peace
Diamod Brite pool color photos
PLEASE!!!! Need to see finished pool pictures with...
Braden Taylor
I will answer pool plaster questions
For 23 years I was in the swimming pool plaster industry...
poolplasterexpert
Need help with sealing gunite to rock, and black alge
Hey friends! I purchased a house last summer in Houston,...
Klint Turney
Sponsored Products
Ruby Reindeer
$14.99 | Dot & Bo
Cream Bunny Hanger - Set of 3
$5.99 | zulily
New Cat Condos Post Pet Stairs - 110023 - BEIGE
$67.99 | Hayneedle
Fresca Cabinets 16 in. W Mirrored Linen Storage Cabinet in Black FST8070BW
Home Depot
Nemo Italianaluce | Constellation 17 Indoor Wall and Ceiling Sconce
$282.00 | YLighting