Should I put a 9" cabinet in this corner?

frontMarch 19, 2014

I'm referring to the corner next to the refrigerator. Currently, I have it as a 12 three drawer and then a 33"x33" corner easy reach. The corner will be where I put all of my tall bottles of oil, vinegar, etc. (I shop at warehouse clubs sometimes). I'm not sure that a 12 in cabinet is necessary, since I have a 15" on one side of the range. What are your opinions on 12" all drawer cabinets?

I am thinking about putting in a 9" full door cabinet and then going with an asymmetrical corner (36x33). This will give me more room in the corner cabinet. The 9" cabinet will be used to store baking sheets, cutting boards, etc. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mgoblue85

I have a 9" full door for baking cutting boards and trays and it works well for my needs. I think if I had more options I may have done something different, but it actually serves me well as is.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 3:59PM
debrak2008

I also have a 9" full door cabinet that stores almost all my flat baking sheets and cutting board. It works well for our needs.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 4:14PM
martinkk333

I also have a 9" lower for large trays, etc. that works well for me.

I also have two 9" floor to ceiling cabinets. One has a pullout in the large lower section that I really like for pantry items and the other is more in the laundry area and holds a broom closet in the lower section and the AC filters in the top portion.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 4:27PM
may_flowers

I was happy to get rid of my 12" base cabinet. It had a shelf, so stuff was divided top and bottom. But I found that things got hung up on each other or migrated to the back of the 24" cabinet. But it's better than a 12" drawer yada yada yada.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 4:53PM
fishymom

I also have a 9 inch full door, works well for cutting boards, trays, etc. I wish someone made a shelf for the top portion though, wasted space that could be used for foil, wrap, parchment paper, wax paper, etc. I guess I am just going to have my husband rig something up for me.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 4:55PM
annkh_nd

Add my vote to 9" door over 12" drawers (I had those, they were pretty worthless). My 9" base cab contains cookie sheets, pizza stones, and cutting boards.

My 9" has a drawer above, which is also mostly useless (though I did find a use for mine). I wish I had thought of a shelf behind the door instead.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 11:54AM
front

Thank you

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 4:55PM
tmy_jax

You're spot on regarding the other benefit of the 9" cabinet. The exposed opening on the asymmetrical 36x33 EZ reach corner lends to far more accessibility over the standard 33x33.

HTH, tmy

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 8:06PM
canuckplayer

In my 9" cabinet, I have my cutting boards, trays, pizza pans. I put a "divider" behind them, (shortening the depth by 3") so I wasn't fishing for something that had fallen to the back.I moved the shelf up to 15" from the cabinet floor (instead of the standard 12") and it holds my oils and vinegars.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 8:36PM
susanlynn2012

Thank you everyone for letting me know that you love your 9" cabinet!

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 12:33AM
Mgoblue85

Fishy - I like the idea of a shelf up top. If you do rig something please post. I'd be interested to see how and what you do. Thx.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 12:40AM
More Discussions
Layout review needed- please give feedback!
I think I'm getting closer to finalizing a plan for...
melis918
Small Kitchen Reveal - Complete with total redo of the plan during!
It was hard to even begin to post since my kitchen...
lurkerlisa
Suggestions on this kitchen plan
Please give me your comments on this floor plan. The...
12crumbles
Do I need an architect?
I have posted before about wanting to remodel my awful...
msmagoo
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™