Installing hand shower to roman tub spout

oliveaSeptember 24, 2010

I have a deck-mounted roman tub faucet with 3 holes (for the hot nozzle, the cold nozzle, and the gooseneck spout). I want to install a hand shower, but don't see any hardware online that will allow me to do this. It seems like they expect you to tear out the tub, and change the rough-in to a 4 hole one (with the recessed hand shower slot). I don't want to tear up my tub to get this working. Is there any other way? I am a complete novice who knows nothing about plumbing - I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peteinsonj

I don't think there is an off the shelf solution to simply add a handshower --

But if you don't want to tear up the deck, then consider a single handle roman tub faucet with a hand shower --

http://faucets.efaucets.com/nav/ct2/onehandlewithhandshower/ct1/romantubfaucets/0

Of course, that part of the plumbing will need to be redone -- but then probably no tile or tub work.

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 1:31PM
rk3105

Hi,
We are also looking for a solution for the same problem and were wondering if you found an answer. If so, could you guide as well.
Thanks

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 3:46PM
hhlresearch

please check out this video on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_CC0-yBqVA

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 8:58AM
sittapygmaea

I'm having this same issue and there doesn't seem to be a great solution anywhere, so i'm bumping the thread in the hopes that someone knowledgeable will have a bright idea. I considered the solution suggested by peteinsonj, above, but since the current tub filler is deck mounted in tile with no access panel I don't see how to change the plumbing 'guts' without ripping up the deck. Am I missing something?

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 7:53PM
lazypup

In some instances you can access the tub mixer by coming in from the back through an adjacent room.

It should also be mentioned that if you install a hand shower on the tub spout you are also required to install a backflow preventer on the hand shower line.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 10:11AM
sittapygmaea

Thank you for adding your thoughts. I unfortunately cannot access the plumbing this way [the 'back' walls are second story exterior walls], but maybe this idea will help someone else.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 3:42PM
medinam

There is a Company that made a fixture just for those cases where the people don't want to bother the tiles or deck, this is a in-line diverter attached to the Spout and has two outlets one for the spout and one for the handshower, here is the e-mai of that company who made this adaption:
dolphinengineering@gmail.com

I hope that this can help to solve the problem.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Good shower heads for low water pressure
Hi, We are living in an area with low water pressure....
lynne_melb
Freezeless Hydrant Frozen??
Hi, I have freezeless hydrant that has never given...
den75
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
Fleck 5600SXT 64k Setup
Well I recently had a new water softener installed...
SheeB
Septic tank and question on the "Sponge"
I have a septic tank that when last pumped out had...
big_al_41
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™