Finally fostering!

cheryl_pNovember 2, 2010

Well, after a long, long time of hesitation, I will be picking up my first (and I hope not last) foster dog tomorrow. Wish me luck please! I have worked with a local rescue for awhile and saw Charlie several times. I really don't know why he has not been adopted yet as he is a sweet black & white 2 year old neutered male. And while he IS a Rat Terrier (does the breed name scare folks off?), he doesn't seem to have the oft times irritating terrier habits like barking and chasing- at least at adoption events and at the rescue farm. I hope he doesn't change when he comes to stay with me since I have two great cats, one of which is very friendly and easy going, the other oh-so-smart but a little "hissy" at times. He has riden in the car well to adoption events and crates well. My husband walks daily and he will be great company for that. The best thing though is that the rescue farm is currently very crowded and now he will have a warm place here as well as possibly freeing up a kennel for another rescue one day- yea!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

I love ratties! They are very loyal and intelligent dogs. Some have cat issues as they see cats as prey. You'll find out soon enough. They are a terrier with all the terrier drive to ground so leash them when out or fence them to protect them from themselves should a rabbit or chipmunk cross their paths.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
Advice on trapping a stray cat
My husband and I have been feeding a lone stray cat...
honugirlhawaii
Hyperthroid Cat Ear Gel - Handling Precautions?
Anybody used this? Did you follow the handling instructions...
lifeflower123
swee' Pea got her angel wings yesterday
I lost my sweet dane girl to liver failure. It was...
Ninapearl
Excellent Animal Hospital in New England?
We are happy with our vet (actually vets, she has a...
sue36
dog suddenly licking snow and plants
Today, like normal, my dog woke me when she needed...
greengirlreba
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™