Cantera coping Good idea or not

marlinmanJanuary 25, 2011

We are looking to do cantera as the coping to our new Spanish influenced pool. I have not seen this done much, is this a mistake. The pool will not be a salt water if that makes a difference.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sceadu

IMO I don't like it. Especially on a freeform pool. It starts to look notchy or choppy. I like the coping to flow with the shape of the pool. Another reason would be that the pieces are small and it starts to look like soldiers lined up along your pool.

Bookmark   January 28, 2011 at 10:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
just-a-pb

Marlin,
First it would depend on where you live. I don't think it would handle freeze thaw to well as it is very pourus.

We have been installing cantera around pools for many years. There are many different colors and hardness of cantera. Some you can scratch with your finger nail, and others quite hard. Obviously you want the latter.
In an opposite opinion to Sceadu, cantera stone is very easily milled. So making custom radius pieces is one of the benefits. Also being able to mill many different profiles for the edge is also a benefit.

I do recommend sealing it, and keeping up on that. It is the only stone that I don't recommend using a salt system with, mainly because it is pourus.

I am doing a remodel right now that has custom cantera coping around it. It is 10years old, and a salt pool, and looks as good as when it went in. I dont believe they ever sealed it either.

Bookmark   January 30, 2011 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Small 3/4' mosaic waterline tile - mistake?
Hello, We're getting ready to sign our contract, and...
oakrunfarm
Need help with sealing gunite to rock, and black alge
Hey friends! I purchased a house last summer in Houston,...
Klint Turney
Would you recommend Fibre Tech?
Anyone with Fibre Tech experience like to comment?...
shuffles_gw
How to film pool build timelapse?
I've been lurking for months & finally ready to...
Wendy Baldwin
Exceptional Pool Builders who build in Cleveland, OH area?
My wife and I are beginning the design stage of our...
jc_ufl
Sponsored Products
Set of 6 'Crimson Serpentines' Blown Wine Glasses (Mexico)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™