Toilet advice needed - refill tube broke off

SnailLoverSeptember 7, 2013

My plumber stood me up, so I'm trying to figure this out on my own. It appears that the refill tube has broken off from the overflow tube. If I hold it in place, the toilet flushes okay. But when I release it, the pressure causes it to pop off and squirt water everywhere.

So my question is this: Is this broken piece part of the refill tube or the overflow tube? If it's part of the overflow tube, would I need to replace this entire unit and take the tank off to install it? If yes, I don't want to attempt this myself. If it's just a matter of replacing the refill tube, I think I could handle that. Hope the photo helps. Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nod702

As a temporary fix you could remove the white piece from the black hose, clean it and the grey looking piece and glue it back together. You can purchase plumbers Goop at any hardware store. When it drys it wont come apart. Be sure and let it dry good before using.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 6:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SnailLover

Thanks, I like this idea. It's an old toilet that I didn't want to put too much money into fixing, since I want to remodel the bathroom over the winter. This sounds like a simple fix that I can do.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
Trying to verify gas pipe size
I am installing a new natural gas range and oven, and...
hoolabob
Water Softener - Where to start?
I am looking to purchase a water softener given our...
sagosto
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™